• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dan carr oregon commem and new 2oz hologram

249 posts in this topic

Gaaak!

More fakes.

More fakes without the word "COPY" as required by law. Identical to the Chinese junk collectors complain about.

i believe they are they are being made in the us so would u say clark & gruber gold coins are not real

Different times, different reasons, different everything. You got to understand history first my friend of why they came into existence. Go look it up and do some reading on it, but CG were bankers who started coining gold coins to help with the commerce of the day and take the risk out of the times. They served a purpose and the coins were a necessity and later the operation was sold to the US gov't. So it is a wee more complicated and historic than what you mentioned. I couldn't conceive putting DC in the same category as CG.

Gaaak!

More fakes.

More fakes without the word "COPY" as required by law. Identical to the Chinese junk collectors complain about.

How do you "copy" a 1927 D Oregon Trail? If one exists to copy I would love to own it.

Nick

Gaaak!

More fakes.

No 1927-D ever existed, so this isn't a copy.

Gaaak!

More fakes.

Come on, I am not an expert in the series, I just saw the photo and thought it was real, that is the point. These are copies/fakes just like what comes out of China just better made, a lot better but fakes nonetheless, when one has to be an expert in the type to know if that mm for the date was actually made or not is the point here. When I see a design for the era why should i think it isn't real if it looks real. This is ridiculous and you know it. Who the heck would know that a '27-D didn't exist if one is a novice.

The 2oz hologram is already sold out!

That means nothing from a correlation that sales = legitimacy point of view. It means there are suckers out there who truly want to colelct DC's incredible artistic repros or flippers hoping to make a profit by loading up.

Why would anybody buy these modern counterfeit artificial copy pieces of junk? I really have no idea what that huckster is as popular as he is, or why suckers keep shelling out ludicrous sums of money for his $5 trinkets.

That PT Barnum character....

Why would anybody buy these modern counterfeit artificial copy pieces of junk? I really have no idea what that huckster is as popular as he is, or why suckers keep shelling out ludicrous sums of money for his $5 trinkets.

Easy, members such as IN buys them like bullion and helps to promote them, he buys as much as he can, and since there aren't many made he flips them in the after market he then attempts to make a profit. And he does it over and over again. He makes the same posts ATS and tries to talk it up with as much hyperbole as humanly possible. I am sure he couldn't careless about the actual coin just the fact that they and new ones are being manufactures on an ongoing basis.

If you want to follow that logic, why would anyone every pay more than face value or more than scrap value for ANY coin ?

The 2oz hologram is already sold out!

all i have to say is money in the bank ....i got mine aswell as a couple thru family

(worship)

Easy, members such as IN buys them like bullion and helps to promote them, he buys as much as he can, and since there aren't many made he flips them in the after market he then attempts to make a profit. And he does it over and over again. He makes the same posts ATS and tries to talk it up with as much hyperbole as humanly possible. I am sure he couldn't careless about the actual coin just the fact that they and new ones are being manufactures on an ongoing basis.

this is not true i collect dans work yes i sell my extras but always keep at least 1 of everything i dont knock what u collect and i think it only fair u do the same there is no need to bash them some people like them some dont...as with anything ...and u cant say his items are not profitable ...just look at past items

1964 peace 100-now 350

1933 buff nickel 45- now 100+

2009 eagle 100- now 200

original 2oz hologram 150- now 450+

original 4oz hologram 375-now 1000

1909 morgan 125- now 175

new oregon commem now 300 future 700-1000 watch ..

new 2oz hologram was 225 future sales 500+ watch

u cant argue auction results dans work it very high quality and very collectable

Why would anybody buy these modern counterfeit artificial copy pieces of junk? I really have no idea what that huckster is as popular as he is, or why suckers keep shelling out ludicrous sums of money for his [font:Arial Black]$5 trinkets[/font].

The coin in question actually has $10.19 worth of silver content (as of 5-14-2012). Knowing you only tolerate facts, I'm sure this was an oversight by you.

Nick

If you want to follow that logic, why would anyone every pay more than face value or more than scrap value for ANY coin ?

Because they weren't made as "collectibles." They served a vital purpose in history that had nothing to do with "buy this and it might go up in value!" (which is the main reason they went up in value), and it's a miracle that many of them survived at all.

Your creations are very nice, the result of a talented mind.

But there are going to be real and difficult problems for people in the future who don't know better, and think they're "real" (or whatever word you use.)

i will actualy agree on the oregon im no expert in the commems and i would not have known this date did not exist unlike the past overstrikes but i still like it and had to have one for my collection with such a low mintage ...

i do understand some of the comments about the overstrikes but i think with a little research u will find out the coin was never minted as for the holograms and other coins he makes they are original designs

Dan,

I personally enjoy your work and I do kind of see both sides of the restrike issue, but I have a bigger problem with your work..........why no Utah parody quarter?? I love the Nuke Mexico and "tell west virgina to get off my back". I also like that you have on occasion joined in on these threads to defend yourself.

Nick

I plan to buy one because I like the coin. Does that make me a sucker? Or does that make me collect what I like?

I plan to buy one because I like the coin. Does that make me a sucker? Or does that make me collect what I like?

Wasn't sure if you were directing your reply to my previous post.

You are free to colelct what you want, and there is nothing wrong with collecting DC's work, he is a great and talented artist.

However I personally don't believe his overstrikes are good for our hobby, someday someone will be fired.....I mean fooled I I have been getting into the celebrity apprentice ;)

But what I really don't like is when a member comes on here talking them up for one selfish purpose to flip them. That is not a collector's actions and takes advantage of this great forum.

Gaaak!

More fakes.

Come on, I am not an expert in the series, I just saw the photo and thought it was real, that is the point. These are copies/fakes just like what comes out of China just better made, a lot better but fakes nonetheless, when one has to be an expert in the type to know if that mm for the date was actually made or not is the point here. When I see a design for the era why should i think it isn't real if it looks real. This is ridiculous and you know it. Who the heck would know that a '27-D didn't exist if one is a novice.

Do you really want to use that card? The date card? I mean Should we protect people from buying 1904 Silver Eagles?

ranton.gif

I don't understand what people think is so creative about stealing a U.S. Government design and changing a mint mark or a date?? Yes, DC has designed some coins and tokens on his own, but it seems the "fantasy" pieces, or whatever people call them, get a lot of attention. There is nothing creative about striking a coin with a design you had nothing to do with. Well, nothing creative beyond what the Chinese do every day...

IMO it's a waste of a perfectly good genuine commemorative...

rantoff.gif

ranton.gif

I don't understand what people think is so creative about stealing a U.S. Government design and changing a mint mark or a date?? Yes, DC has designed some coins and tokens on his own, but it seems the "fantasy" pieces, or whatever people call them, get a lot of attention. There is nothing creative about striking a coin with a design you had nothing to do with. Well, nothing creative beyond what the Chinese do every day...

IMO it's a waste of a perfectly good genuine commemorative...

rantoff.gif

I assumed he was using something like 64 Kennedy Halves to strike over.