• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dan carr oregon commem and new 2oz hologram

249 posts in this topic

i got my Oregon and 2oz holos in the mail today they look amazing the new hologram is better than the original.the oregon is flawless may be the best fantasy overstike so far the details ar amazing it looks just like the real deal i dont have a real one to compare but the high relief on this coin is super cool

i got my Oregon and 2oz holos in the mail today they look amazing the new hologram is better than the original.the oregon is flawless may be the best fantasy overstike so far the details ar amazing it looks just like the real deal i dont have a real one to compare but the high relief on this coin is super cool

Well since you just stirred the pot.........I received mine Friday. The Oregon is hammered like I would have expected and the finish is different then that of any Oregon's I've ever seen on any date. The rims are nicely squared up like a proof and I love the doubling created by the host coin. The high relief is very sweet. I stored this Fantasy piece next to my US Mint made Oregon's and so far they are getting along fine. No squabbles whatsoever.

The 2oz hologram is noticeably cleaner then the right facing initial issue piece. Extremely cool.

MJ

Well since you just stirred the pot.........I received mine Friday. The Oregon is hammered like I would have expected and the finish is different then that of any Oregon's I've ever seen on any date. The rims are nicely squared up like a proof and I love the doubling created by the host coin. The high relief is very sweet. I stored this Fantasy piece next to my US Mint made Oregon's and so far they are getting along fine. No squabbles whatsoever.

The 2oz hologram is noticeably cleaner then the right facing initial issue piece. Extremely cool.

MJ

Due to the high relief, I have to over-stike the Oregon Trail coins four times each. A single strike on a virgin blank would yield more "cartwheel" luster. The planchet expands radially on the first strike (creating carwheel luster). But since there is no more radial expanion of the planchet during the subsequent three strikes, the luster is somewhat subdued by the repeated strikes.

I tried a few single-strike pieces, but they just wouldn't come out right - the host coin details would show through in an unattractive manner.

i have to say on my oregon's i cant see any sign of the original host coin and yes it does have more of a matte finish but i love it ...as for the hologram i think it just look all around cleaner without the 2's on it the coins seem to just be getting beter with each new piece i cant wait to see what is to come im looking forward to a $2.5 liberty

Seriously... RockMyAmadeus, obviously your viewpoint on this issue is not going to change, so why do you guys continue to argue.

A couple of reasons...

1. I enjoy (as does Mr. Carr, I suspect) the discussion.

2. The point isn't to change anyone's mind. The point is to influence those who may be watching. The job of the trial lawyer, after all, isn't to convince the other lawyer, because that will never happen. It's to convince the jury.

3. Even still, there's always the chance that one or the other party will bring up a point that the opposition hadn't considered, and, as physic-fan's sig states, and with which I agree wholeheartedly "I reserve the right to change my mind with new facts, experience, opinions, or viewpoints."

Just agree to disagree and move on.

Why?

Seriously... RockMyAmadeus, obviously your viewpoint on this issue is not going to change, so why do you guys continue to argue.

Just agree to disagree and move on.

According to him it is not an argument, but a discussion. I guess it is all about perspective though.

Argument, discussion, the word doesn't really matter. I've never understood, and never will understand, why people feel the need to place their limitations of what is "an acceptable length of discussion" on other people.

And I'm not trying to insult anyone, nor am I trying to be rude. It simply doesn't make any sense. If two people want to discuss a topic for days, weeks, months, years, provided it doesn't degrade into personal attacks and insults, what harm does it do to anyone who no longer wishes to participate?

If you no longer wish to participate, the answer, then, seems fairly straightforward: stop participating. But trying to get people who wish to discuss it to stop discussing it...why? How does it interefere with other people's enjoyment of the forum to not click on a topic which no longer interests them?

"That's quite enough discussion, then, move along, nothing to see here."

:shrug:

On the comics forum, I guess this would be classified as a discussion.

Indeed. By now, it would have devolved into a shouting match, endless unrelated videos, and insults about various mothers and what people should be doing with them.

;)

I think it might be so risky to buy valuable things online. You barely know if it is fake or original before you touch the thing! I rarely give a try to buy coins online.. Even from ebay. I usually try to go to antique shops, retired soldiers and other people who sell things and you can touch the thing by yourself. Of course, I have bought online. I received original coins and I even bought an authentic Amber necklace . It's probably more of a lottery.. 

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2012 at 7:22 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

But there are going to be real and difficult problems for people in the future who don't know better, and think they're "real" (or whatever word you use.)

I believe this is the crux of the matter. All "numismatic" opinions are a matter of taste. I probably won't buy one of these products, but can appreciate the craftsmanship. As to the possibility of deception, I tend to come down on the side of those who think that the ignorant, those who are too lazy to do the most basic of homework, will be fleeced by someone, sometime, and we can't protect them. Years ago, I would have had more sympathy for folks who don't take the trouble to learn before they buy, but that was before the internet. I will say that the date used on this particular piece is unnecessarily misleading, as the date is within the range of dates of the originals. A modern date should have been used IMO.

Don't buy anything unless you know a little about what the real thing is. This goes for anything from coins to firearms to hamburgers to shampoo. If you don't know what the real thing is, don't buy it. dcarr's work is very well done and is the real thing. It is exactly what he intends it to be. His coins are almost always higher quality than like or equivalent mint work. These are real coins struck on real planchets and are not copies. This has been argued time and time again at this site and if you want to know more visit his site and send him an email. I don't collect his material but have considered a purchase however. Many of his coins could be added to collections of other high quality coins as fillers for date or mintmark varieties that were never struck but could have been. One I can think right off would be 2009 Proof ASE that should have been struck but mint officials backed out due to bullion shortages. (I personally think it was the due to fear of the most corrupt administration in U.S. history).