• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy the coin or buy the grade?

16 posts in this topic

I currently own a PCGS, MS-63, 1882-CC Morgan that has a lot of eye-appeal to me with a touch of toning on the obverse and more defined toning on the reverse. I am considering upgrading this coin to NGC GSA MS-65. However, I can't afford to keep both coins, but in a case of buying the holder, I really love the GSA holders and this coin would bring my total GSA CC's to six. Part of the GSA lure to me is that the coins pedigree is known (I'm nuts about a coins history). The other advantage of course is the higher grade with three times the registry points (darn that competitive urge in me). Any thoughts on which way to go? The coin or the grade?

Gary

1442228_Full_Obv.jpg

1442228_Full_Rev.jpg

Others here have brought up valid points...but, as to the OP Subject Question I would have to say BOTH!

If you buy a nice MS65 the coin should have greater eye appeal and be much nicer...so you end up with the higher grade holder and a nicer coin. The only Morgans I would want to own are ones with CLEAN CHEEKS! You can get closer to that by going with a MS65....and yes, not all MS65 examples are created equal. You will have to shop around for just the right example that makes you happy.

My 100 cents on the subject.

Only YOU know which you prefer, and that is the choice you should go with.

I agree with this. For me, it would be the individual coin, which would be the GSA NGC 65 in my case.

If the the 65 is noticeable better, then I would go with that for sure, as you will have a higher grade and another GSA holder to add to your collection. BUT if it is not or even if it is EQUAL---it would be FOOLISH to spend alot more bucks on a coin that is NO BETTER other than the higher grade number on the case. It is tough to imagine a 63 that looks as good as a 65 but it can happen.

I currently own a PCGS, MS-63, 1882-CC Morgan that has a lot of eye-appeal to me with a touch of toning on the obverse and more defined toning on the reverse. I am considering upgrading this coin to NGC GSA MS-65. However, I can't afford to keep both coins, but in a case of buying the holder, I really love the GSA holders and this coin would bring my total GSA CC's to six. Part of the GSA lure to me is that the coins pedigree is known (I'm nuts about a coins history). The other advantage of course is the higher grade with three times the registry points (darn that competitive urge in me). Any thoughts on which way to go? The coin or the grade?

Gary

Personally, I MUCH prefer a GSA dollar in a GSA holder, and also want the accompanying box and certificate.

I agree with James on the GSA holder preference, IMO once a Morgan is cracked out of the "Black Pack" who's to know if it really is a GSA Morgan?

(Although more than half of the '82 CC Morgans minted were part of the GSA hoard, 605,029 / 1,133,000)

It woul dbe nice if we coulld compare them side by side, but thus far the ms65 GSA sounds like the better specimen all the way around.

Gary

Personally, I MUCH prefer a GSA dollar in a GSA holder, and also want the accompanying box and certificate.

This...but how nice the coin is would determine the final say. For me, though, the registry points are meaningless....

jom

The one pictured has a lot of marks on the cheek; I'd sell it.

I agree. The 1882-CC dollar you currently have is not a great MS-63 graded piece because the cheek is very baggy. If you really like the MS-65 graded GSA piece, I'd go for that.

I've been looking to upgrade my Type II Twenty Dollar gold with a Mint Stated graded piece. For those who are not familiar with this issue, these double eagles are fairly common in VF, EF and AU, but very scarce in strict Mint State and rare in MS-64 or better. I have a wonderful AU-58 graded example and would like to upgrade, but all of the MS-62 and 63 coins I've seen were not nice. One MS-63 would give me many more registry points, but it's really an AU that is not as attractive as the AU-58 I have now.

It's just not worth spending all of that money for nothing but registry points.

I decided to go with the GSA MS-65 for the reasons I already stated and the baggy cheek. I liked everything about the other coin except the cheek. I looked through several listings and picked the coin I believed had the best cheek. Even though my pictures still detail some scuff marks, this new coin in the hand at half an arms length does not have any overriding distractions in the devices nor the fields.

1749854_Full_Obv.jpg

1749854_Full_Rev.jpg