• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No sun for pics today posted by Six Mile Rick

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Went for the lights

Friends and Society,

As I planned to work on pics today and was left with a cloudy day I kept looking for other options. I did come up with a cooler and lights directed into it. Lets see what came of it as I am just checking the pics on a 1926 MS65 Peace Dollar. The rev is white with a wide luster band around 50% behind the eagle that is hard to get a good pic on.

Later

11299.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

Rick

I am getting a book by Mark Goodman entitled Numismatic Photography Volume 2 through Wizard Coin Supply for my birthday. The book is a little pricey at $22.46 and when I get the book I'll recommend it to you if it is any good. In the mean-time here is a link to Wizard for the book. The name Mark Goodman should ring a bell with you on these boards since he comes highly recommended. All the best in your quest for the perfect picture. If you want you can experiment with the cloudy light, I did a few weeks ago with excellent results on my 1876 Centennial Medal. :idea:

Gary

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/numismatic-photography.html

I seem to need a different type of light bulb. There is a full yellowing in these pics that does not let me show the true coins luster. It would be nice to get a inside set up working good that I could use whenever I had the time.

Gary, You are getting a book now??

If I can get pics to do as well as yours are I would be writing the book. ha ha

What can I say, I'm helplessly a perfectionist. What I'm looking for in the book is an edge. Most of my photographs are photo-shopped to make them look better than the original picture. The rule of thumb is to get the best picture you can on the front end, and then you will need very little or no photo-shopping.

Hey Rick,

Yep, Incandescent bulbs give a photo that yellow tinge; you could try natural daylight fluorescent bulbs they give off a nice diffused white light.

Pictures are looking good, keep up the good work.

Merlin8*

Thanks guys, If I plan to try some more inside pics I will definitely be headed to Lowes for a couple fluorescent lights. The outside picture taking is most friendly and less aggravating for sure. I do not want my SILVER coins to look GOLD. I can't afford GOLD and love the SILVER look (especially on a SWEET Morgan).

Later---Rick