• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917-D RMM WALKER GTG (GRADES REVEALED)

23 posts in this topic

Left breast and high points on leg seem to show the slightest wear. AU58 it is.

Still looks like a very nice Walker to me!!!

I'll go AU58. I also like the toning on that one quite a bit!

The toning was one of my favorite aspects of this coin. I wish I had taken the coin out of the mylar for the pics it is much nicer than it shows.

Pretty coin. Is that scratch across the flag, under right arm? If not i could see it in a MS holder. hm

I'm pretty sure that's part of the design. It is a "crease" or fold of the flag. It's more prominent on some years than others.

copper toning---- What appears from the pictures to be a lovely coin. It does have some rub. That rub puts it into the Au55--58 range depending on what it looks like in hand. This coins appeals to my tastes A LOT. Bob [supertooth]

Pretty coin. Is that scratch across the flag, under right arm? If not i could see it in a MS holder. hm

I'm pretty sure that's part of the design. It is a "crease" or fold of the flag. It's more prominent on some years than others.

Good eye.

It is the crease in the flag.

I have seen it in a MS holder.

I will post some interesting facts in a day or two.

copper toning---- What appears from the pictures to be a lovely coin. It does have some rub. That rub puts it into the Au55--58 range depending on what it looks like in hand. This coins appeals to my tastes A LOT. Bob [supertooth]

The luster and toning seen above the sun and around the L do cover the obverse and reverse.

I will see if I can dig up some other pics.

I think I see a bit of rub on the high points, so I'll say AU58. With this said, early Walkers are notorious for weak strikes, and toning can create the impression of rub in images. As such, it is possible that this is (or will make it) into a MS slab. Unless shown otherwise, I'm at AU58 for the moment. It is a very nice coin.

I REALLY like the looks of it. It has a sharp thumb and GREAT toning (from what the images allow me to tell) but I see some wear on the thigh. I would grade that an AU 58 slider. A very NICE coin!!

copper toning-----Was in a slab---Isn't now---was in a slab twice----Isn't now. Sounds like someone didn't like what the slab said??

So, let's say this. With the strike that this coin has----and if indeed it does have some luster as you say---I can easily see this coin in an MS62 holder----regardless of the RUB.

This is where subjective grading ALWAYS is in play. And, remember, seeing the coin IN HAND----"ALWAYS" makes a difference in grading. And, we ALL KNOW that the angles of the pictures--the kind of lighting ETC. ETC----will make a REAL impression on how one MAY THINK about a coin that one sees on the internet.

My comments on this coin come down to this. I like the coin regardless of whether it's in one holder or in another holder----or in NO HOLDER at all. Placing a value on the piece will always be what is in the eye of the beholder. These days, with that kind of original toning, you could see it marked as questionable toning---or even environmental damaged. Sometimes subjective opinions aren't too objective. I'll likely enjoy your further comments. Bob [supertooth]

copper toning----I'd like to add the following:

Having sent MANY WALKERS to both NGC and to PCGS----I can almost guarantee that PCGS and NGC would "NOT" grade this coin the same thing.

And, one more thing. If you get an experienced grader----say my age of 65----he will likely grade such a coin as this----a very different grade as a grader who might be 35 or 40.

What might be beautiful to some----may NOT be beautiful to others. So, like in life, you might get different opinions ON THE SAME DAY---depending on which shift of graders that you might get. Bob [supertooth]

I was looking for some old pics but can not find them.

You are right Bob I did not like the grade on the coin and did crack it out not once but twice.

When I purchased this coin I was a naive newbie. I should have left it alone.

It was originally in a NGC MS62 holder. I now realize it was market graded from AU58. At the time I had no idea this was done. I felt it would upgrade and resubmitted to NGC and recieved an AU58. In disgust I cracked it out again this time I placed it in my dansco for a few years.

I recently sold this coin raw as an AU58 slider as my goals as far as toning have changed. I was just curious as to others opinions of the coin. I feel that one day I will regret having parted with this particular coin I just simply can not afford everything I like.

I did learn a lot from this walker. I have a local dealer who pays money for anything nice. He also sells nice stuff cheap as he rarely gets it and has no clients who are interested. He sold me this coin for $625 because he said it was a overgraded POS that had ugly toning. I would hate to be the guy who sold it to him.

All in all I would say that everyone's opinion of this coin is valid. Thanks for all the comments

copper toning----Once again---IMHO----I would have been GLAD to buy your coin for 625 in that MS62 NGC holder.

A little story here. My 1st set [ Docs Walkers] 17D Rev coin was originally in an old ANACS small holder graded AU55. The dealer who sold it to me in 2004----for a Buy--It--Now for 535----was glad to get rid of it as being tooooo dark. I loved the coin. It is as close to a total "black beauty" on the obverse as I have EVER SEEN on an "early" Walker. Eventually, I croseed it to a PCGS AU55----they must have liked it too. But, the point here is that some folks like the blast white----stone white---brilliant white---or "CONSERVED" NCS white. They think that it looks just like a proof or UNC coin directly from our mint. And, that's OK if that's what you like.

But, your coin is NOT LIKE THAT----and MANY folks like myself will treasure that original NT toning and that original skinned look. And, for every coin that looks like yours, there will be dozens and dozens of those that are WHITE.

IMHO, you had a lovely coin. And, the guy that you sold it to----MADE A GREAT BUY----IMHO. Remember, that it is totally subjective opinion. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks.

Like I said I may regret it one day.

The buyer was planning on sending it in and I did ask for the results. I he does let me know I will post and see if I can get pics.

Then grade has been revealed so, I wouldn't comment on that but I do like the original looking toning on this coin and I certainly can, with market grading in practice, see this coin in a MS62 slab