• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ONE MORE (OVERGRADED..?) TONED MORGAN.. GTG?

15 posts in this topic

Another morgan dollar from my set

after my last post, i went through all my toned morgans looking for more "overgraded" ones. might have found one. any guesses on the grade?

3-15.jpg

4-15.jpg

5-14.jpg

6-12.jpg

thanks!

johnny

That's's Exactly what I was thinking! MS64, or even 63 on a bad day..

NGC called it a 65.

I guess I get your point now :(

Add another to the 64 camp, sometimes whae a coin has heavy or darker toining I have seen the TPG's be a grade higher than I think because the toining tends to mask or subdue the marks in hand. Digital pics if done right with good light have the rev effect and really highlight what can be smaller marks when you have the coin in hand. I have this 1881 which has very attractive somewhat heavy toining and was graded by our hosts as MS65 which also hides some scuffs in the obv fields. At the end of the day just keep in mind that the grade on the holder is an opinion, as long as you like the coin and the price was right for the grade you give the coin all's good.

81obv.jpg

I disagree to an extent. I think it's a valid 65, here's why. Marks on the cheek I'm told should be viewed as follows:

1. Is Ms Morgan scratched?

2. If so, did the scratch draw blood?

3. If it drew blood, were stitches required?

By subjecting scratches on the cheek then neck to this test you nail down the degree of severity in the downgrade required of the coin. In this case, yes, there are scratches but they seem pretty minor. Don't forget, the image is the size of a manhole cover and that tends to make things look way worse than they actually are.

I disagree to an extent. I think it's a valid 65, here's why. Marks on the cheek I'm told should be viewed as follows:

By subjecting scratches on the cheek then neck to this test you nail down the degree of severity in the downgrade required of the coin. In this case, yes, there are scratches but they seem pretty minor. Don't forget, the image is the size of a manhole cover and that tends to make things look way worse than they actually are.

I agree with your analogy on severity, but in this case it's not severity that bothers me but the quantity.

Is it better to die for one bad cut or a million paper cuts? Still is dead.

Guys thank you so much for the help and your opinions.

Like I said before, I was happy with all the coins I purchased, and I would've bought them raw or certified, so it's cool.

I might have paid a little too much for 2 or 3 coins, but since I'm setting up at shows as a dealer i usually get pretty good prices on the coins I buy, and I never had a problem selling a coin I owned for profit or at the very least for what I paid for it. Not that I intend to sell any of THESE (unless I'm upgrading).

Thanks again for all the help!

Johnny

I agree with your analogy on severity, but in this case it's not severity that bothers me but the quantity.

Is it better to die for one bad cut or a million paper cuts? Still is dead.

+1