• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

indian head cent (raw) - NEW, BETTER PICS POSTED

26 posts in this topic

nice rainbow toned - pics are bad, i know..

very annoying scratch on the cheek.

what do you think?

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

Great detail, the feathers are nice and sharp, color is alittle dark and its impossible to determine the amount of luster from the pics, I'll say MS66BN if the luster is all there MS64BN if its not. Nice pickup.

Great detail, the feathers are nice and sharp, color is alittle dark and its impossible to determine the amount of luster from the pics, I'll say MS66BN if the luster is all there MS64BN if its not. Nice pickup.

WOW. Really? That's great!

The coin has a lot of luster and the fields are toned in green, and fire-like red/yellow/orange. Definitely brown, though.

I was thinking it has no chance to grade over MS63 because of the scratch on the cheek.

I wish the scratch was anywhere else other than the cheek :(

Would be awesome if it got a 64!

Btw, it seems like the N in "one", the NT in "cent" and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA have some kind of doubling or shifting..?

IHC's are not an area that I collect; I'm a Lincoln guy at heart; so I could be off on my high side guess but I cannot see it getting lower than a 64 even with the mark on the cheek. Alot of IHC's have some strike doubling, the only book I have on IHC varietites does'nt show anyting for this date but hopefully someone more versed in the series can provide more info.

Am I seeing things or is there a problem in the wreath at 10 0'clock?

wheat

I see it,but can't make out what it is..like solder?

Took the coin out of the 2x2 flip to try and take better pics.

some of the pics don't show all details, because i tilted the coin just to show the luster and colors.

hopefully these are easier to work with.

also included a close-up of the top left part of the wreath where there seems to be a problem. pics are blown up and show some marks and tiny spots that i did not see even with a loupe.

care to guess the grade?

OBVERSE:

1-17.jpg

2-18.jpg

3-19.jpg

4-17.jpg

REVERSE:

5-16.jpg

6-13.jpg

7-11.jpg

TOP LEFT WREATH, CLOSE-UP

8-11.jpg

Thank you all for your help!

Johnny

Thanks.

It IS a die break,

and I sure hope Grease filled die is all it is on the wreath.

I have to diagree with the altered color / altered surface opinions though.

The toning looks 100% natural to me. Maybe it's a bit different in hand than in pics. But the toning is not something I worry about. I know it's good.

Any guesses on possible grade?

Thanks.

It IS a die break,

and I sure hope Grease filled die is all it is on the wreath.

I have to diagree with the altered color / altered surface opinions though.

The toning looks 100% natural to me. Maybe it's a bit different in hand than in pics. But the toning is not something I worry about. I know it's good.

Any guesses on possible grade?

You really don't know from pictures so good luck. One more thing on the rim just above the wreath in question there is a bubble of some sort of material. Could this piece have been in jewerly at one time. (64 rb if it will grade) Let us know

wheat

64 BN if it grades, but the color looks questionable to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see this in a details holder if it were submitted for grading.

After seeing the newer images, I agree even more with my original assertion that the color is questionable. if it doesn't end up in a details holder for that, then it will probably end up there for the scratch.

No grade,looks AT,scratch on cheek,and what looks like something was removed from the wreath..I hope i'm wrong,and it works out for you.

Thanks so much for all the replies.

Since I picked this coin up so cheap, I decided to experiment with it. Gave it to someone that'll "work" on it and try to improve the appearance.

He said the coin was definitely cleaned at some point, but it looks like the color is OK.

Anyway, I will have the coin back by Monday next week and I'll upload new pics.

Johnny

Since I picked this coin up so cheap, I decided to experiment with it. Gave it to someone that'll "work" on it and try to improve the appearance.

He said the coin was definitely cleaned at some point, but it looks like the color is OK.

Johnny

When posting the new pictures, please tell us how the coin doctor manipulated the coin.

Johnny

just got the coin back.

i don't know if it's any better.. (shrug)

here are the new pics (forgive my poor imaging skills)

IMG_3470-1.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

what do you guys think?

Johnny

just got the coin back.

i don't know if it's any better.. (shrug)

here are the new pics (forgive my poor imaging skills)

IMG_3470-1.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

what do you guys think?

You doctor is good but I still think it saw a doctor befor this one.

Wheat

Cleaned MS details. The color is not passable in my opinion, and while the doctor may have helped a bit, it will still go details IMPO.