• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the quality of US MINT going downhill?

18 posts in this topic

Maybe the TPGs are finally grading the bullion by looking at the coins instead of randomly assigning 70% PF70s and 30% PF69s?

Well considering as little as about three or four years ago you would have been getting 25% or less as 70's, and 10 years ago maybe 10% as 70's I'd so they are doing quite well. Or the TPG's are getting more generous.

The decline in quality of proof coinage at the US Mint has nothing to do with 69-to-70 ratios and a lot to do with the crappy 80-grit frosting they use on the dies.

The decline in quality of proof coinage at the US Mint has nothing to do with 69-to-70 ratios and a lot to do with the crappy 80-grit frosting they use on the dies.

The "frosting" is actually laser etching. The process is not the same as it was even 10 years ago. Unfortunately this type of "frosting" kills the fine details on almost ever proof coin, and really degrades the eye-appeal in my opinion. But, I'm sure it's cheaper! (shrug)

Dime_Cameo_Profile.jpg

Using a laser avoids the difficult and time consuming frisket and sandblast technique that produced the "frost" in the past.

A true "snakeskin" proof.

Using a laser avoids the difficult and time consuming frisket and sandblast technique that produced the "frost" in the past.

A true "snakeskin" proof.

Yes...and....oh yeah, it's ugly. :)

So here's a question, not to highjack the thread, but with the two different types of frosting, would the old frost wear off if handled like normal circulating coins? And with the laser method, would this prevent the frost from wearing no matter the circulation?

"19Lloyds", a board member, coined the "snakeskin proof" term - excellent descriptive.

Search on that term for some interesting links

I sent in some of the newest 2012 W proof silver American Eagle for grading, more than half were graded PF69, the rest were PF70. No idea the quality of US MINT now, I'm not sure if I will buy more coins from them in the future.

I hope you realize that the MS/PR70 labels are nothing more than marketing and an attempt to justify doubling, and in some cases, tripling asking prices.

It also helps me avoid the time consuming task of ordering proof sets from the mint.

It also helps me avoid the time consuming task of ordering proof sets from the mint.

:signfunny::roflmao:

I sent in some of the newest 2012 W proof silver American Eagle for grading, more than half were graded PF69, the rest were PF70. No idea the quality of US MINT now, I'm not sure if I will buy more coins from them in the future.

MS69s are virtually perfect, too, so I would not consider a preponderance of them to be a decrease in quality from the Mint. There were an unusually large number of 70s graded in 2011 for various reasons; nevertheless, one should not expect to get perfect 70s on every submission, under normal circumstances.

would the old frost wear off if handled like normal circulating coins?

Eventually yes. After all wear is wear and if you wear off the surface it's gone

And with the laser method, would this prevent the frost from wearing no matter the circulation?

No, After all wear is wear and if you wear off the surface it's gone

The much coarser pits left by the laser etch method would probably not be as delicate though and may hold up in circulation a little longer.