• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you not agree with this grade? 64 If so what is holding it down?

17 posts in this topic

The coin looks like an MS66 at a minimum, to me. That tells me that there is probably something wrong with it that does not show in the images and which you are not seeing.

The coin looks like an MS66 at a minimum, to me. That tells me that there is probably something wrong with it that does not show in the images and which you are not seeing.

Well, I have looked at it an awful lot Mark comparing it to some 65s and I can not for the life of me see anything that would drop it a couple of points. And certainly has the eye appeal. I would even call it a 65+ coin. We are not talking bucks here but the coin would double in value. Perhaps it needs a grade review. The photos aren't the best but it is a gem. Thanks for making me feel a little better about the coin and my ability to pick em. (thumbs u

Going strictly from the photos, I'd call it 65 PL. But, those pictures leave a lot to be desired - the standard caveat applies: with better pictures or in hand, my opinion could be completely different.

Going strictly from the photos, I'd call it 65 PL. But, those pictures leave a lot to be desired - the standard caveat applies: with better pictures or in hand, my opinion could be completely different.

I know my photos suck huh. :grin: Here is one i found when the coin was in a airtite. But it has a hot spot in a critical area. :facepalm:

Picture001-7.jpg

What do you see in the original photos that would limit the grade to MS65?

What do you see in the original photos that would limit the grade to MS65?

Not really anything. When I give a grade opinion on pictures like this, I tend to be conservative to account for possible hidden problems. If I was bidding on this on Ebay, I would bid to a low 65 level based on these pictures, and no higher. That is really how I judge a grade on pictures like this.

I agree. Good response. The first pics show clean fields and a rather bold strike that the 1881-S is known for. The second pic posted shows some chatter on the neck and the left and right Obverse fields. The neck is a focal area. The Reverse is very sharp and would easily be of a MS66 caliber. 1881-S in MS64-65-66 is a very high population for the year and mint mark and NGC graders have probably seen tens of thousands of these coins. To be graded as a high order gem the coin must be very outstanding.

As stated by previous posters, hard to judge with out having coin in hand. I think the NGC graders, that saw the coin in hand, had this coin as a MS65 and dinged a point for the field and neck chatter shown in the second pic.

Based on your pics, I would have guessed MS65.

Carl

Must be a LOT of field chatter and spotting

Cannot tell PL or not because of picture quality but I would say not

64 seems harsh but it is a common date so there are a great number of them out

there ... perhaps yours was graded after they graded 30-40 others and yours

just didnt stack up to the others who knows.

Man it does look nice, the old saying comes to mind. If the grade does'nt fit you must resubmit, lol. Imo it looks 65 but what do I know.

It is an 1881-S Morgan dollar, and there are MANY, MANY nice examples of this coin. It is available by the roll in high grade with P-L or nearly P-L surfaces. As such the grading standards are tough on this issue.

I see a "bright spot" from a scrape on the eagle's breast feathers on the reverse. Maybe that knocked it down. I'd say that it has an MS-66 obverese with a lower grade reverese FROM THE PHOTOS. Than in its self is a problem. You can't really assign gem grades to coins from photos.