• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INTERESTING NICKEL.. (don't know if this is the right place to post, but..)

11 posts in this topic

So i bought this nickel today at my store.

don't know exactly what it is, besides its being a double struck coin..

any ideas?

i've seen double strikes before, but this one looks like only some of the coin's legend was re-struck on the coin.. and some damage on the reverse..

thank for looking.

johnny

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

had a tough life that one

lol you got that right..

Any opinions on the possible mint error? Or is maybe just post-mint damage?

Post-mint damage. We affectionately refer to these kinds of attempts at creating the appearance of an error as "squeeze jobs". The nickel was put in a vice with another nickel and then they were both squeezed until one nickel left an impression on the other nickel.

The big line on the reverse looks like where the vice's teeth left their mark when the whole process was undertaken.

The coin is worth 5 cents, and your bank will probably scowl at you a bit when you bring it in to exchange for a shiny new nickel. ;)

Post-mint damage. We affectionately refer to these kinds of attempts at creating the appearance of an error as "squeeze jobs". The nickel was put in a vice with another nickel and then they were both squeezed until one nickel left an impression on the other nickel.

The big line on the reverse looks like where the vice's teeth left their mark when the whole process was undertaken.

The coin is worth 5 cents, and your bank will probably scowl at you a bit when you bring it in to exchange for a shiny new nickel. ;)

That's what I was thinking. Especially since the "extra lettering" were mirrored, and if it was mint error they should have been straight.

I bought it as a part of a big lot of coins, so I didn't spend any money on it, but thought I might have gotten something good . Oh well.

Thank you all for your help!

Johnny

id say post mint damage. ( got hit by truck or train ) jmo

hahahahaha that's sounds about right.

i wonder if NGC would grade it GOOD DETAILS: HIT BY HEAVY VEHICLE lol

the side of Jefferson has IVE CENT CENTS

the top picturw looks like these letters are indented

but the bottom picture looks like the letters come up (are raised)

for letters going in - squeeze job -> kid with hammer or vice

if the letters are raised, there was a die involved, and closer look needed