• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Didn't make the coin show... :-(

9 posts in this topic

but I did get some coin stuff in this weekend!!

My shoulder was hurting too bad to drive an hour and a half each way to get to this show, which I do usually enjoy. So, my wife and I decided to do a little pickin' at local antique stores.

I specifically chose a small town about 30 minutes away to check out, because I knew that had some coins in several of these shops. Perused many over priced coins (seller's must be in love with their coins as many were 20-30% over Red Book value - geez...)and thought the day was going to be a lost cause. Looked at what appeared to be a 1797 large cent that was heavily corroded, at $15 it was a steal, but the date was just too obliterated... Then I found a seller with lots of mint sets, however they were mostly $4-8 more than I can buy them every day off Ebay, but... In the mix was a 1982 aftermarket mint set for $15 - didn't even think, just bought. Thought about cutting this one up for the nickels, as I think both are MS 66, but I think I'll just flip it on the Bay for cash...

The last stop of the day was a brand new, opened this week, used book store. Usually, these are a waste of time for numimatists, but this one had a few older books, but alas nothing that really spoke to me. I will be heading back there as their inventory grows though!!

Great weekend for me and my hobby!

Todd

Today's pic - the photo of the 82 mint set.

11264.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Todd

Nice pick up, especially with the 1982 Lincoln cent varieties all in one place! Any weekend with coins has to have the therapeutic effect of distracting you from your shoulder! Too bad about the coin show though, as they say in sports, there's always next year! All the best! (thumbs u

Gary

Rick -

I did get in a little loupe therapy on this set. They are decent coins, but nothing that screams cut me out!!! The nickels are the best of the lot and perhaps would garner a 66, but neither is FS.

Todd

Hey Todd,

Thanks for sharing your weekend adventure. I remember that Coins Magazine put together 1982 sets as a premium, but they only went cent through quarter. Sold them a long time ago on Ebay the same time I sold the Denver and Philadelphia 1982 souvenir sets. I think I got pretty good return on all the sets but your deal was excellent. Keep pumping that Loupe.

Malcolm

The issue with the 82 and 83 dimes is the absence of 3+ million mint sets, which is the primary source of BU clad coinage from the past 40 years. The only way to get BU coins is in original OBW rolls, there just aren't that many of them, so the laws of supply and demand take over and thus the premiums for these 4 coins.