• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED -- 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent - NGC graded

15 posts in this topic

Guess the grade of this one. The slab has some smudges/scuffs, but I think the details are still clear enough.

125553.jpg.609cf1104ace06b1130a748bdc1310c1.jpg

125554.jpg.ca4416d1e5a26b9ddcd09c2adc90cf85.jpg

65RD. It doesn't have the strike or luster for a 66, and the mark above the T on the reverse kills whatever shot it had. Very nice coin, though.

What does it lack in luster? This thing is dripping with luster. Just wondering if you're seeing something in the pictures that limits the appearance of luster? (shrug)

65RD. It doesn't have the strike or luster for a 66, and the mark above the T on the reverse kills whatever shot it had. Very nice coin, though.

What does it lack in luster? This thing is dripping with luster. Just wondering if you're seeing something in the pictures that limits the appearance of luster? (shrug)

From the pictures, it seem to have strong luster, but not the right kind of luster. Satiny luster like this coin has does not tend to get as high a grade as the brilliant, booming luster that other coins display.

.... the mark above the T on the reverse kills whatever shot it had (for a higher grade than MS65RB). Very nice coin, though.

I agree, but I think the luster is fine. MS65RB*

Without the large magnification used for the posted image, that mark above the "T" is MUCH smaller and would/should not kill the shot for a grade above MS65. In addition to that, I don't see the strike or luster limiting the grade to MS65, either.

Other than those three issues, I agree with your assessment. ;)

I was glad to see that many of you thought 66RD. As Mark pointed out, the very large images over-exagerate the very very small mark above the "T" on the reverse. I agree with the assigned grade, and the luster on this little guy is just booming in hand. It's a nice upgrade for my type set from my previous MS66RB.

I'm not sure how I squeaked away with this one on the BAY for what I gave for it. I paid less than 43% of Numismedia FMV -- I gave $112.50 for this coin, and NFMV was listed as $260. The seller had posted only a picture of the obverse of the slab, and the auction description did not contain the designation of "NGC" anywhere. Also, strangely, it was indexed under "Roosevelt Dimes, 1965-present". I think all of those things taken together meant that not too many people saw this one.

Here are the newer pics I took after buffing out the scuffs on the slab.

Thanks for all the guesses.

-Brandon

125620.jpg.1f6a3154878ca0099958646552380384.jpg

.... the mark above the T on the reverse kills whatever shot it had (for a higher grade than MS65RB). Very nice coin, though.

I agree, but I think the luster is fine. MS65RB*

Did I put RB? lol I am getting old as I meant RD.

Really glad you got the 66 ... that was quite a deal! ^^