• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

...Another big milestone for moderns.

12 posts in this topic

Congrats to the Ike Group and collectors of these coins - but they will still be unpopular and scarcely collected in the mainstream hobby.

I'm always amazed by your crystal-ball Jason.

Congrats to the Ike Group and collectors of these coins - but they will still be unpopular and scarcely collected in the mainstream hobby.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm happy that the Ike guys are getting accepted, good for them. But some coins will just never be as popular as others - three cent, two cent, Trade dollars, Ike's, SBA's. Nothing really wrong with that, they just aren't widely collected.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm happy that the Ike guys are getting accepted, good for them. But some coins will just never be as popular as others - three cent, two cent, Trade dollars, Ike's, SBA's. Nothing really wrong with that, they just aren't widely collected.

You're quite possibly right.

I've always suspected the main reason that some coins aren't collected is that people don't realize how scarce they are. There are myriad reasons to collect almost anything from historic importance, artistry, quality, personal relevance, and down to just the need to have one of everything but one thing almost all collectors share is a desire to own something that's elusive. If we percieve it as common we rarely desire to own it and if it's rare then it's commonly collected. Ikes are among the rarest moderns in nice Gem condition and they're gorgeous coins in Gem.

Wider recognition of this rarity will have many very positive effects for Ike collectors including establishment of firmer base values for the coins. More collectors will bring out more coins so populations become more firmly established. Higher prices bring out more coins as well. More attention means more discovery of varieties.

Ikes would definitely remain a little niche market if people who used them in circulation weren't still around in large numbers. But since there are substantial numbers it's possible for them to become a significant market or even a mass market. Interest in these will bring more interest to all the underappreciated moderns including those still in widespread circulation which are probable to eventually develop mass markets given enough time. These markets can feed off each other because the collection of one is so similar to the collection of any. These coins are made of the same base metals and were similarly poorly made. Supplies of most of them are spotty with highly variable numbers of survivors.

Ikes are a sort of canary in the coal mine because it's the only series where the absolute number of Gems is so low. All the other series have many dates where Gems are common so the aggregate number of something like Gem clad dimes is quite high. But the Ike is even scarce as type in Gem. Ikes were the first of the moderns to soar in price starting way back in 1980 and up until '98 but they've hardly made a move this millinium.

Whatever happens this is very well deserved attention for a great collectible.

Jason, all of the series you mention as "not widely collected" have in common that they were relatively short-lived designs, and relatively unattractive designs at that. The IKEs and SBAs in particular were not popular additionally because of their lack of silver content. While I don't think the Ike or the SBA are particularly beautiful designs, I would also lump the Franklin Half among the ugliest of US designs -- yet that one is highly collected. (shrug)

My original comment was meant to suggest that no one (not even you) can predict what the hobby will look like in 50 years. In 2062, when the IKE is 80-90 years old, it may be heavily sought after -- who knows. It will not ever likely surpass the obsession with Morgan Dollars (whose obverse "Liberty" design I also personally find not very attractive), but then again, I have always preferred to collect what is not mainstream, and by and far I am mostly a type-collector, not a series collector.

To each his or her own. :)

they need to do more Jeffersons

but as of today, still have done more Jeffersons than IKES (I think)

Interesting....I just sent in an Ike a few weeks ago as I didn't know they didn't certify them.....they sent it back along with my other coins with a note that they don't grade them and kept my $10 lol

I guess bad timing on my part since it was my only CAC submission and it was a few weeks early doh!

Interesting....I just sent in an Ike a few weeks ago as I didn't know they didn't certify them.....they sent it back along with my other coins with a note that they don't grade them and kept my $10 lol

I guess bad timing on my part since it was my only CAC submission and it was a few weeks early doh!

I thought they only charge you $10 if the coin stickers? I swear someone posted that here recently? (shrug) I'm just asking, as I haven't ever submitted anything to CAC.

I thought they only charge you $10 if the coin stickers? I swear someone posted that here recently? (shrug) I'm just asking, as I haven't ever submitted anything to CAC.

That's only for those submitting as collectors. If my memory serves me correctly, his thread mentioned that he sent them under Mark Feld's account.