• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One thing I've learned in six years of collecting.....

45 posts in this topic

Is if you miss out on a coin, another will come around. I can confidently say that about 95% of the time, when I was outbid on, forgot to bid on, missed out on etc on a coin I really wanted for my collection, eventually another came around.

When I started collecting and missed out on something, I used to get upset and let it bother me. But today, I just brush it off and say to myself, that another will come along. Maybe because Im only 31 and hopefully have many years left of collecting. In some cases the coin I missed out on ended up being offered to me in the future. Sometimes you have to pay up a little, but I dont mind overpaying for a quality coin.

What does everyone here think? What do the veterans think??

Ankur

I think you're exactly right. Even rather scarce coins... when you're thinking "I'll never see that again!" have a way of popping up. The importance of luck should never be discounted.

Well there are two particular coins I have been looking for for 6 years, and the right one each has never come up at the right moment. Don't know if they ever will.....

1854-S gold dollar au58-ms63

1878-CC quarter au58-ms63

Just haven't come up at the right place at the right time with the right look......

One thing I've learned in six years of collecting..... Is if you miss out on a coin, another will come around.

I can see where it might seem "true" after only six years of collecting. But in TWELVE years, I have YET to find another 1900 DDR Liberty nickel. I was such a dip-stick for missing out on a nice, lightly circulated example back around 1999 or 2000. I have seen zero, zilch, nada, not-a-one in all that time. Not even in super-sub-horrific grade (which I would buy).

Also, again after about 10 years, I still cannot find THE 1806/9 draped-bust half-dollar that I've been looking for. Once more, I very foolishly didn't buy the one that I should have way back when, a drop-dead fully original VF-30 with perfect surfaces.

So in short, I definitely do not agree with your assertion if you say "will come around". Another MIGHT come around, but I feel with extreme confidence that when "the right coin" is there, don't be a fool.... BUY IT.

I guess when it comes to very rare varieties I can understand. I don't collect them so I wouldn't know.

But I do agree with your last statement. If I see a coin I LOVE, I'm not afraid to overpay for it.

I agree with most coins coming up for sale on a regular basis,but there is always that one coin or one great deal that if passed up may never come around again.I have passed on several opportunities that looking back I know will probably never come around again!!

I have found that if there is a coin that I am absolutely rabid about, searching every online seller and obscure auction venue unsuccessfully, if I just GIVE UP for a while... it will usually appear. Just my experience.

I think this is not true for tough varieties. Sometimes it takes a few years or more to find the right coin.

Dates and grades have a habit of popping up, but the right coins don't always behave that way. Since most of us would be happy with a certain number of specific issues, there is a tendancy to have those issues arise from time to time. What is also important is opportunity since many cool coins do not get sold into the general pool, but rather go to specific people.

On a percentage basis, very few coins are irreplaceable, or even virtually so.

The key is recognizing those which are. And, not missing the opportunity to acquire them, when/if it presents itself.

Patience almost always pays off.

I would have to agree

Mark had a proof 63 blue toned morgan for sale about 6 to 8 months ago . I desperately wanted it then but didn't have the money . Then I saw it come up again on the Pinnacle website just after christams but again didn't have the money .

The next time I see it come up I'll have it for sure even if I have to sell a kidney . :)

10 years ago, I had the opportunity to purchase a 1901-S quarter, PCGS AU-50. Fortunately, I didn't pass on it. I haven't run accross another one since then.

Another factor that raises it's ugly head when deciding to wait for another example of that wanted treasure until a later date is rising cost. If I had waited until today to purchase my quarter, I now couldn't afford it! :facepalm:

1854-S gold dollar au58-ms63

1878-CC quarter au58-ms63

Just haven't come up at the right place at the right time with the right look......

Would this 1854-S gold have been good enough. It is an NGC MS-62. It was in the 2011 winter FUN Heritage sale. At over $3k it was not cheap, but it suited my purpose.

1854-SGoldDollarO.jpg1854-SGoldDollarR.jpg

As for the 1878-CC quarter, I'm not active in that market and so can't comment.

There are very few pieces that DON'T show up again if you don't act the first. One for me is the 1838-D half eagle I have in MS-63. Only a few others have been graded at that level.

Other coins might cost you a lot more later. That happened for me on the 1796 No Stars quarter eagle. I couldn't pull the trigger when one was offered to me a two and half years ago. I filled the hole recently, but it cost me a lot more.

But, yes, for most things, if you miss one piece, another one will crop up in the less than far distant future.

I agree to some degree but I rather go by another credo:

I never miss an opportunity to buy a great coin and thus I never regret doing anything.

For most US coins, I believe this is true.

For some or even many world coins, it is less likely. I once sold an 1875 Bolivia Boliviano NGC MS-64 thiking it was a lot more common than it apparently is. I have not seen another one since in any decent grade and it was a mistake to sell it. Similarly, I attempted to buy a 1753 Peru 1/2 real (ungraded) at the 2009 NYINC auction which I graded AU to MS. I was outbid at $1000 and should have bid more for it. It is the only remotely decent specimen I have ever seen in 12 years of collecting this series.

For very rare stuff, if you can afford it, AND LIKE THE LOOK, then buy it then.

Aside from the truly rare stuff I would agree with the OP. Secondly, the money that you might have spent on buying the coin you wanted, coin X, might just be used to buy a coin that jumps out at you, coin Y, (in a totally different series), and coin Y can make you a very happy camper indeed.

This has been MOSTLY true for me........so far. Although, in most cases, I had to spend even MORE money in the long run but yes I did happen to get other opportunities at better material. ;)

I hate regretting not buying something. Typically when I am close to pulling hte trigger I have done an enormous amount of research on the coin in question. All the buying points have been checked off ie rarity, die marriage, grade, eye appeal if any, the only thing that is left to decide is price.Typically it is usually in the ball park sometimes a tad to high and never the other way around. So my last big question is will I be able to find another during my nondementia time on this planet, if the answer is no and/or it would be irreplaceable if I did in fact buy it then I pull the trigger and I do it fast without evr looking back. Less is more and having a narrow focus on what you collect is extremely beneficial and less time consuming. I liken myself to the creature of ALIEN or PREDATOR, it I am going to be as efficient and streamlined a collector as I can be inorder to increase my survivability in obtaining what I am eager to collect. I know this description sounds funny and way out but I take the hunt for the goodstuff very seriously and whether it is my addiction taking over or just my good sense of judgement or both, if it moves me I am going to do my best to reasonably acquire said coin. Enough said of my personal problem.

Sorry btw but I haven't mastered the technique of using the emoticons just yet, any help would be appreciated. :)

Sorry btw but I haven't mastered the technique of using the emoticons just yet, any help would be appreciated. :)

Switch to 'full screen reply' when entering or editing a message. click on smiley face icon on top of toolbar (4th from the right). select emoticon from drop down list.

Now that I think of it, I DO have one coin that I really regret but I missed the opportunity less than 6 months ago. I may very well find a better one in the next year or two. :)

I liken myself to the creature of ALIEN or PREDATOR,

realone, It's so odd you mentioned that, as recently while watching alien vs predator requiem I thought to myself...

Wow it's really amazing as these creatures are so much like realone! ;)

So many variables and not enough time to discuss them all.

I was working on my dissertation here but hit the wrong button and it got deleted. :(

I feel the most important aspect of coin collecting is to understand that it is a "hobby." Pay your mortgage/rent, utilities, cable.... etc., first!!!

Whatever may be left over:

Enjoy your coins!

:)

I liken myself to the creature of ALIEN or PREDATOR,

realone, It's so odd you mentioned that, as recently while watching alien vs predator requiem I thought to myself...

Wow it's really amazing as these creatures are so much like realone! ;)

Thank you for the compliment, it is about time, I take pride in my heat seeking missle attribute without the saliva dripping from my jaw so to say.

And btw allow me to add, if you do decide to buy that remarkabl acquisition because you believe you will not see another for quite some time and you are later fortunate to stumble across aother this time better example, by all means buy it too and then sell the first since I believe that when you do all that work on the first acquisition won't go to waste. This exact happenstance just occurred with me and I decided to keep both for good measure and enjoy them in a strange subset kind of way.