• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade these MERCS when using Making the Grade, Photograde or...?

6 posts in this topic

According to the following Grading Guides: Coin World's CoinValues Making the Grade, Photograde and PCGS Photograde....ALL THREE OF THEM AGREE WITH ME!!!

1921 Graded F-15

Looks like an F-12 Obverse and a VG-8 Reverse(kinda) to me...and according to all of the sources I stated above.

1921-D Graded F-15

Looks like an F-12 Obverse and a VG-10 Reverse to me...and according to all of the sources I stated above.

Further commentary-

PHOTOGRADE...in regards to the 1921

For the Reverse - At VG-8 the book says: "The rim will be full.(it meets this requirement) Half of the vertical lines in the fasces will show.(not even close and this is a VG-8 Requirement) At F-12 the book says: All the vertical lines will show but not sharply.(again, not even close) The two diagonal bands will show across the fasces but will be worn smooth in the middle.(again not even close)

Your thoughts? It seems ALL of the low grade 1921 and 1921-D examples in this auction have similar disagreements with Coin World's CoinValues Making the Grade, Photograde and PCGS Photograde.

PLEASE REFERENCE ANY OF THE ABOVE GUIDES WHEN LOOKING AT THE COINS.

Check out this NGC VG-8 Example ....Buy the coin, not the holder people. :roflmao:

Thank you for your commentary.

Unfortunately the grading services lowered the standards for key date Mercury dimes (e.g. 1916-D) and semi-keys like the 1921 and 1921-D. Therefore what used to be G-VG or VG is now Fine.

Under the new, lower standards (The new standards are actually over decade old.) the 1921 is "passable." I don't like the 1921-D at all because the obverse looks to have been cleaned.

Unfortunately the grading services lowered the standards for key date Mercury dimes (e.g. 1916-D) and semi-keys like the 1921 and 1921-D. Therefore what used to be G-VG or VG is now Fine.

Under the new, lower standards (The new standards are actually over decade old.) the 1921 is "passable." I don't like the 1921-D at all because the obverse looks to have been cleaned.

Bill, I too have noticed a slight lowering of standards BUT this just does not make sense to me when all of these coins...a lot in just ONE AUCTION are all overgraded and they contradict the very PCGS Photograde that PCGS puts out. (shrug)

Some things I just wasn't meant to understand I guess. Oh well.

I'm always extra careful buying coins on Teletrade....seems they often have bottom of the barrel coins for quality. By that I mean, low end for the grade, or obviously over-graded.

Bill, I too have noticed a slight lowering of standards BUT this just does not make sense to me when all of these coins...a lot in just ONE AUCTION are all overgraded and they contradict the very PCGS Photograde that PCGS puts out. (shrug)

Some things I just wasn't meant to understand I guess. Oh well.

Many years ago a Mercury dime in VF, regards of the date, had to have all of the vertical lines in the ax handle complete. After the grading services took over, only a few lines at the side showed on coins graded VF. In essence VG became “the new” VF. You had to buy a coin that was graded EF to get a piece that had all of the lines showing.

This change in grading standards was reflected in the prices to a point. When I was a dealer and was working on want lists, I had a customer give me an order for a 1916-D Mercury dime VF. I looked at the prices on the Gray Sheet, and they seemed low. Soon I learned why. It was because of the grading. The VF you got at this point in time was not the same one you got years ago. I eventually had to find a piece graded EF to get what the customer wanted.