• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on grading...

14 posts in this topic

I have this San Diego Commemorative I was going to submit for grading. The problem I can see is the rim dent. I have looked over my ANA grading standards and there is mention of a rim dent in the bag mark section of the book but does not really determine the the affect it will have on the grade. Is it treated as a bag mark or something else such as damage? This piece may have other issues, the fields on the reverse has a small break in the luster next to the tower. Maybe cleaning, it's tough to tell, but I don't think so. This is a very pretty coin, the luster is outstanding with many die polishing marks on the reverse. Thoughts? Thanks for taking the time....Joe

SanDiego001.jpgSanDiego017.jpg

Are you referring to the microscopic ding at 9 o'clock on the obverse? If so, I don't think that will even come into play in the grading. It's a really stunning piece, and as always, you have great images!

The rim ding won't prevent it from grading. And it will just be put under a slab prong so no one will ever know, unless it gets cracked. ;)

Lance.

2093c325.jpg

3fe03cd2.jpg

Joe,

Looks like a nice example!

:)

Don't know what you paid for it but here are the prices listed for NGC pieces:

64 - $135

65 - $175

66 - $225

67 - $1,250

From the NGC Census:

64 - 946

65 - 2,561

66 - 632

67 - 85

68 - 4

A ton of these were saved. As you can tell from the above, unless you have a 67, or a super 66 with color, maybe not worth the extra expense when factoring in the grading and shipping fees. Totally your call of course.

Just my 2c. :)

The rim ding won't prevent it from grading. And it will just be put under a slab prong so no one will ever know, unless it gets cracked. ;)

Lance.

:roflmao:

I was bothered that they didn't at least offer to buy it back from you; I don't think it is acceptable at the grade level on the holder.

Many of San Diego half dollars have been saved in high grades (MS-65 nad 66). I would grade this piece MS-65 without the rim ding, and MS-64 with it. The graders might miss the ring ding.

As the previous post noted this is not coin an expensive coin in MS-64 or 65, and having it slabbed is a marginal financial move. This is the type of piece that really fits into a raw set of commemorative half dollars, but if you want it slabbed for reasons other than financial, go for it.

Lance.

:roflmao:

I was bothered that they didn't at least offer to buy it back from you; I don't think it is acceptable at the grade level on the holder.

Not to derail Joe's thread, but I agree. NGC offered to reslab it but felt the grade should stand.

Rim dings are acceptable to a point, and don't necessarily hurt the grade, it would seem.

Lance.

Joe,

Looks like a nice example!

:)

Don't know what you paid for it but here are the prices listed for NGC pieces:

64 - $135

65 - $175

66 - $225

67 - $1,250

From the NGC Census:

64 - 946

65 - 2,561

66 - 632

67 - 85

68 - 4

A ton of these were saved. As you can tell from the above, unless you have a 67, or a super 66 with color, maybe not worth the extra expense when factoring in the grading and shipping fees. Totally your call of course.

Just my 2c. :)

I paid $65.00 for it years ago at a B&M. I don't see it going for much more than about a hundred dollars if I sold it. More than likely I'll just leave it in the coin album. Thanks to all....Joe