• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pathetic fake coin on Ebay

48 posts in this topic

Listing ended yesterday at 1:41 PST.

I bet the seller is wondering why no one jumped at the chance to own a coin that Numismedia.com values at $2160 for such a low price of $999.99 plus $1.95 shipping and handling.

The pics of the edges of the slab say it all, damage from someone opening the slab and replacing the real coin with the junk one.

37 negs in past 12 months doesn't help his cause either.

Looking at his feedback, he has to be a pawnshop owner. I bet he good duped because he isnt a collector.

I looked at some of his other high dollar coins and many are described as BU, but upon examination the majority if not all have been cleaned which should be obvious to any but the most novice collector. So it is what it is.

wheat

im glad to see the seller pulled it. to bad seller got burned but thats the way it goes.

How do you know that the seller was "burned"? I cannot fathom how anyone, much less someone who routinely sells NGC certified coins, could not know that the holder was tampered with. Moreover, I find it hard to believe that anyone who sells coins could possibly believe that this piece is genuine.

I thought it was very curious that the seller provided a photo of the slab side. What was the message there? What was he thinking, I wonder.

Lance.

I wondered the same thing. I do not believe this seller is all that innocent.

I think it's more plausible that he is innocent and was going the extra step of showing the damage to the holder.

KGrHqVgsE9wz0FB24BPmv63w7M60_57.jpg

All I see is a small crack around 75% to the right going up.

- the rest looks legit to me.

What makes everyone so positive that this is an authentic slab and not a counterfeit slab?

The reason I ask is that everyone should know the best counterfeits are indistinguishable from the authentic product - you could call them supercounterfeits if that makes you feel better.

You're probably not used to seeing NGC slabs that are split without mutilating them.

NGC slabs are softer plastic, compared to PCGS slabs e.g., and snips and bolt cutters are not the best way to crack them.

Instead, wrap the holder in a towel and use many firm (not hard) blows with a hammer, moving around all edges of the holder. Check the holder periodically.

Eventually the seam will split on a side...a little jagged, and at a few triangular tabs.

You can then pry it open and pull out the insert, cert and coin.

The holder pictured above has much more damage than is necessary. Someone was a little heavy handed with the hammer.

I'll have to shoot the edges of a cracked NGC holder sometime.

Lance.

a7c6718a.jpg

Listing ended yesterday at 1:41 PST.

I bet the seller is wondering why no one jumped at the chance to own a coin that Numismedia.com values at $2160 for such a low price of $999.99 plus $1.95 shipping and handling.

The pics of the edges of the slab say it all, damage from someone opening the slab and replacing the real coin with the junk one.

37 negs in past 12 months doesn't help his cause either.

Looking at his feedback, he has to be a pawnshop owner. I bet he good duped because he isnt a collector.

That is a good possibility. Most pawn shops don't usually have an experienced numismatist on staff, and rely on eBay completed sales for their pricing guide.

Case in point, I often visit the local pawn shop to see what they have in the line of non-numismatic collectibles, i.e. antique beer steins, pocket watches, etc. While I was there, a guy came in with a GSA, NGC certified CC Morgan he wanted to sell(his first mistake was thinking he would get anything close to value on this from a pawn shop). The broker searched eBay sales and found one that apparently sold for 43% below what these are valued at from any dealer, and took that as an accurate price, and the offers was 57% below that price.

The guy declined and left.

You don't even need a fake account on eBay to jack-up price any more - it seems if you don't want something after having high/winning bid, you just don't pay

look at the feedback of this joker ->conchewski123

and all those people leaving 'did not pay info' are just a fraction of those he stiffed, because most sellers file resolution to get fees back and are prohibited from leaving anything

That's not really being fair to Ebay. It's not a matter of how may people they need to "figure" it. It's a matter of how many people they need to be able to review all of their listings. And that is a lot.

But you would agree eBay can/should have more numismatists to scan through coins listings than they have, no?

You don't even need a fake account on eBay to jack-up price any more - it seems if you don't want something after having high/winning bid, you just don't pay

and all those people leaving 'did not pay info' are just a fraction of those he stiffed, because most sellers file resolution to get fees back and are prohibited from leaving anything

Weird... people leave feedback like "**NEGATIVE*** Did not pay. Major pain in the A.." but yet give a positive rating?? Am I missing something here?

Weird... people leave feedback like "**NEGATIVE*** Did not pay. Major pain in the A.." but yet give a positive rating?? Am I missing something here?

What you're missing is that sellers are not able to leave "negative" feedback ratings. I believe that this has been the case for at least a few years. So their only practical option is to leave "positive" feedback, but include negative comments.

What you're missing is that sellers are not able to leave "negative" feedback ratings. I believe that this has been the case for at least a few years. So their only practical option is to leave "positive" feedback, but include negative comments.

Which is useless to do since it's giving the buyer's feedback rating a boost.

Not quite useless. Many people know that it is the only feedback option, so they read the "positive" feedback and become aware of the negatives ;)

Ebay offers a way to sort out bidders like this after they have received 2(?) unpaid buyer strikes.