• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896 Morgan, 1898, 1898-S

13 posts in this topic

3 more to grade, the 1896 is in a PCGS BU holder with no grade

1896 my grade is MS-64+

1896-morgan-obverse.jpg

1896-morgan-reverse.jpg

1898 MS-63??

1898-Morgan-obverse.jpg

1898-morgan-reverse.jpg

1898-S I struggled getting a picture of this one, has some luster but it is a gray rainy day and the lighting is bad, my grade is AU-55

1898-S-Morgan-obverse.jpg

1898-S-morgan-reverse.jpg

I'd go MS64 on the first coin, as I think the scratch on the cheek and chatter at the jaw area preclude a plus.

I agree with your MS63 assessment on the second coin.

The third coin looks cleaned to me, though probably an AU 55 or 58 in terms of wear.

The gouge under her eye is too harsh to warrant a 64. It looks like that might be a staple scratch across her chin which would account for the no-grade.

There are too many nicks & dings on her face which suggest that it might have been lightly circulated.....AU58

1898-S

My first reaction is that this coin has been cleaned and/or polished.......XF/AU Details. The mintmark is interesting, though.

Chris

That actually isn't a gouge, it is a rub mark on the upper cheek. Trick of the lighting. It is very hard to see in hand unless you turn the coin just right. I figured cleaned on the third coin too.

The no grade is the result of this being in a promotional "Morgan Silver Dollar The American Classic" holder, not from any defects on the coin.

The gouge under her eye is too harsh to warrant a 64. It looks like that might be a staple scratch across her chin which would account for the no-grade.

There are too many nicks & dings on her face which suggest that it might have been lightly circulated.....AU58

1898-S

My first reaction is that this coin has been cleaned and/or polished.......XF/AU Details. The mintmark is interesting, though.

Chris

Where do you see cleaned on the 98-P?

A lot of verticle lines in the fields of the coin both front and back - The back one looks like they tried to remove a mark or a stain.

It might be die polish lines but I do not think so ..

Good Luck