• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1973 MS 66 5FS Jefferson Nickel

12 posts in this topic

Jefferson's are tough coins...

I thought the Roosies were tough, but I think the Jeff's are even tougher. Most of what I see are junk, but every once and a great while a nice specimen appears. Sent this one on my last submission and was happy with the results.

Year: 1973

Grade: MS 66 5FS

Registry Points: 24

NGC Pop: 28/2 in 5FS and 4/3 in 6FS

Purchase Price: Self Made

Not especially rare by condition or Full Step status, but a sharp looking coin none the less. The Red Book for Jeff's states that 5FS coins are 1 in 3 and that 6FS coins are scarce. I guess perhaps the reason for low points being awarded to this coin. I'm at a loss as to why so low a points on the FS coins in this entire series, barring a few issues, given the difficulty of finding nice coins. As with this issue, they may be 1 in 3 with 5FS, but many are 64 and below.

This coin is sharply struck, blast white (little to no toning), has almost a cameo like frosting to the devices on the obverse and really nice step division. Happy to add this to my fledgling Jefferson Nickel Collection.

11164.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

I agree. The education is fun. I still get disappointed when I completely miss the obvious and come out with a poor grade. Thankfully, those are becoming fewer and fewer...

Welcome to my world. Nobody gives the Jefferson series respect until they try to collect them. Nice coin btw, got any photos of the reverse?

Very nice coin, and always a joy when plucking a raw coin yourself and getting good submission results.

The redbook uses a generalization on frequency of full steps, as there are some issues that have over half and others that are basically non-existant.

If you enjoy and are working on the Jefferson series, I highly recommend the book -> The Jefferson Nickel Analyst by Bernard A. Nagengast

which is about the cost of 1 coin grading fee and covers neat series background / events and a year by year evaluation of conditions and rarities up until the time of printing.

Wow - great coin. Your strike is so clean, that a little chatter earned the MS66 grade. My MS67 looks much more "traditional" for 1973.

I think your MS66 5FS reverse is such a crisp strike, it looks like vintage 1996, not 1973.

Here's the link to my 1973 MS67 6FS (homemade from OBW) in my registry - unfortunately I lost my archive of high res photos, so my older registry photo is the best image I have for now -

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=1122896

Wow! MS 67 6FS... Great coin and great description. The origin of my coin was a mint set. I seem to never have any luck with OBW rolls, but given this coin, I may have to test the water again..

I'm a novice with Jeff's - who can explain the Step methodology that you all use. I see it frequently and I believe you call it the half step method?

Very nice! You have some tough high-grade FT Roosies and if you start in on this series I'd like to check out that "fledgling Jefferson Nickel Collection" in a year or two.

I undertook, not too long ago, finding an MS67 1971-D Jefferson. Being new to the hobby I had no idea what FS meant. I studied an article found online titled "Understanding Full Steps" and it proved most helpful:

Variety Nickels - Understanding Full Steps

Here is the coin I eventually purchased. 1971-D MS67 5FS

125309.jpg.d450a596866f545e5d2945b15860385f.jpg