• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOT so cheap thrills....

64 posts in this topic

Ok so now show me the most expensive or one of the most expensive coins youve bought.

This one definitely ranks up there, especially considering the grade! :o

1793libcap-1.jpg

My most expensive coin cost slightly more than $4500. with vigourish. This was a number of years ago but still makes me small time and worthy of EVP's snide remarks recently here about my being beneath his attention span and buying power to even accrete his interest! I do not usually save pictures much of formerly owned coins. They just remind me of what was and never will be again! Some times applied ignorance and a short memory is a form of bliss.

That was then and this is now. Presently, my logo coin (an 1879-CC half eagle) is probably my presently most expensive coin. I probably over paid for this coin but it was worth it to me in the context of my long collecting background and history. That is all that matters.

Dimefreak, why is that coin not in a VG10 holder?

great question!!! Which is why I wasnt able to pay G6 money for it! I might get it regraded one day.

Bought this is an ICG Vf 30 Holder - sent to PCGS in the ICG Holder , listed VF 20 as a minimum . Paid VF 20 money at the time. CAC would not certify it - for this coin I dont care that it does not have a green bean .

125218.jpg.9a940e051dc0dd76526beee4cf123fca.jpg

Nice stuff in here, I just wish I could participate a bit more. Here is one that cost a little bit more than chump change. At PCGS, this does not have the variety ATTRIBUTION yet but once it does it will be a POP 2 with 0 Finer. This variety is pretty rare in any grade since there have only been 7 of this variety attributed. The base coin itself can get pretty darn expensive in this grade. So to find the variety in this grade was very very cool. :)

These are the icky auction photos....but good enough for you to get an idea. I need to photograph this coin myself.

1931-S_DDO_MS66FB_PCGS.jpg

Here is my most expensive purchase. I was on the fence about it, but im very glad I pulled the trigger. Thanks to Laura of Legend Numismatics for this one.

1799Eagle.jpg

Is that a PL 49-S Franklin?

Indeed it is. It is the third highest graded example, at 65+ FBL PL (although I think the 2 66FBL PL's are a duplicate, making this one the second highest). Its the second one I've owned, I used to own a 64FBL PL that I sold.

Is that a PL 49-S Franklin?

Indeed it is. It is the third highest graded example, at 65+ FBL PL (although I think the 2 66FBL PL's are a duplicate, making this one the second highest). Its the second one I've owned, I used to own a 64FBL PL that I sold.

I'm under the impression they bumped the grade by 1 point for the PL surfaces? The obverse has a gash on Frankie's cheek, quite a bit of chatter/digs under the "R" of "LIBERTY" and there are 4 parallel marks just to the left of Frankie's flowing hair. This isn't my series, but I have MS64 Frankies with fewer abrasions than this one.

Even though I don't care for the "scratchy" look of the polished/PL fields, I have to admit the reverse is amazing. I can't believe the frostiness of the bell. (thumbs u