• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Lincoln political token on last night’s Pawn Stars show

9 posts in this topic

Last night at the end of the second Pawn Stars a man showed up at the night window with a Lincoln token. Upon further close-ups it was noted that the piece was a DeWitt AL 1864 – 36. The night lady (I can’t recall her name) called in Rick to look at it.

The man was asking $1,500 for the piece. Rick said that all Lincoln tokens are rare (not true), and said that the piece was badly worn (only a VG, which is an unusually low grade for a strictly political piece). Rick batted around a $300 number.

I own half (the obverse) of the AL 1864 - 36 which shares its obverse with the AL 1864 - 37. Neither of these pieces is tremendously rare or in the top ranks of popularity in the series. Given the condition of the piece that Rick was offered, his guess of $300 was way off base. I would say that the piece was worth no more than $50 or so retail.

Here is my AL 1864 – 37 which has the eagle, flag and drum reverse. The AL 1864 – 36 has wreath encircling a five pointed star surrounded by rays on the reverse. My piece is holded which in the opinion of some collectors makes it better because there is a reasonable chance that the piece was used during the 1864 presidential campaign.

AL1864-37O.jpgAL1864-37R.jpg

I saw that episode and thought $300 sounded high, but I am no expert on these tokens so wasn't sure. I knew $1500 was way out in left field.

Even more out there was the guy in the episode before. He had some notes from the Texas Republic. He wanted $650,000 for the Government of Texas note because it was the finest known - PMG 64 I believe. The expert quoted a price of $10,000.

I saw that episode and thought $300 sounded high, but I am no expert on these tokens so wasn't sure. I knew $1500 was way out in left field.

Even more out there was the guy in the episode before. He had some notes from the Texas Republic. He wanted $650,000 for the Government of Texas note because it was the finest known - PMG 64 I believe. The expert quoted a price of $10,000.

That was indeed probably one of the finest known, but nowhere near $10,000, maybe closer to $4000-$6000. Just not enough deep pocket collectors for that note.

wheat

That was indeed probably one of the finest known, but nowhere near $10,000, maybe closer to $4000-$6000. Just not enough deep pocket collectors for that note.

wheat

Well certainly, the $650k he was firm at was unrealistic as well.

That show is a joke, every item shown is staged and they still don't accurately assess the items half the time. I love it that the Amish looking guy from the Las Vegas History Museum knows everything about everything. You know he's being coached before he sets foot in front of the camera.

Just sayin!!!

Malcolm