• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

75th Anniversary San Francisco Mint SAE

8 posts in this topic

The cash cow is milked again.

Just read in Numismatic News that San Francisco mint is going to produce a 2 coin SAE set to commemorate the 75th anniversary of its current location and facility. One will be a standard proof and the other will be the reverse proof. I am assuming production will be limited. All of you dedicated SAE collectors can now count on a deluge of special issues, etc. etc. etc.

I wish they would be more creative and produce a special proof set with new renditions of obsolete coins. A 2012 dated Walking Liberty Half, Standing Liberty Quarter, Mercury Dime, Buffalo Nickel, and Indian Head cent would be just the ticket. I know, I know, wake me up when I start drooling.

Malcolm

Malcolm

11142.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

I just checked the US Mint web site and the release is set as 6/7/2012. There is no information on the mint's web site regarding pricing or production limits.

All this fuss over a 75 year old building or a marketing gimmick excuse to mint a coin? Naturally, collectors will want to purchase these as will I. I love the reverse proof SAE's. At any rate, until then, my next Coin of the Month is dedicated to you Malcolm, and Six Mile Rick. There is a connection between both you and Rick, however I do not see that you own my next Coin of the Month, yet. That's my clue, out on May 1.

Gary

Wow Gary, you've got me intrigued, can't wait for the May COTM.

As for the SAE set, wonder if the Mint, after it's black eye on the 25th set will just sell as many 75th SF sets as they can take orders or at least make the cutoff fairly high like 250K. HMMMMMMMMM!!!

Later,

Malcolm

Here we go again, Gang!

The good news is that the 2012 Special SF Silver Eagle Set will include a "S" Proof, and an "S" Reverse Proof coin, tentatively for June 7, quantity is estimated at 300,000, with a one per household limit at an approximate price of $125. The Mint has the set listed on its Calandar.

Maybe they'll come out with a "D" mintmark Set, that's never been done!

I just sold my entire SAE collection... except for my 2006 Annv set in OGP. I love the look of the coins, and now I have one example of each to admire. Outta the race for me! :)

The set goes on sale early June and just for kicks I am going to keep a sharp eye on the silver values. The last silver set was the 25th and silver was very high at sales and dropped after all sets were sold. Lets see where the melt value rides on this sale.

Later---Rick

The Mint confirmed that the basic details have been decided with production scheduled to begin on May 11.

The Mint has also indicated that they may also offer an Uncirculated version of the Silver Eagle with the "S" mint mark for 2012.

(I'd still like to see a "D" mintmark eagle set)