• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acetone.. now awesome color.

13 posts in this topic

This coin was so dirty and green that it allmost went out the window.

but i tryed with some acetone. 4 days of work.

sorry no pictures before but you could not see any letters or head.

this is how i turned out.

??? can acetone tone a coin?? or is it way old toning below dirt?

2012-04-22153716.jpg

2012-04-22153702.jpg

Acetone will not tone a coin as far as all the literature I have read ... it just disolves the organics (which might tone the coin) and releases any grime that might be caught using the organics as a "glue". From what I have heard NCS uses it as one of their conseravation fluids as well

do you have before pics?

Pure acetone will remove dirt, organics, PVC - it should not have taken 4 days, but no problem keeping in that long.

Some acetone sources may not be pure and have other things that may have caused color - for example do not use nail polish remover.

Hi i have seen this happen on lots of copper coins . i have got in job lots .. they have been polished in antiquity and then been put into collections for a long time and all the over-polished areas seem to take up the distinctive blue'y hew personally i think it comes from plastics

no before pics. such a shame.

i did only use acetone..

this coin was so dirty that i think detector find maybe.

where i live nobody knows ms70. never seen it in use here.

but i would love to try it:-)

There are a lot of scientists who post here and will be able to help you much with better than I can. Silver readily forms sulphates, phosphates halides and fluoride compounds all of which will have color spectrum displays at certain refractive thicknesses.

Being simplistic, the thiourea treated coins are most common blue toned ones and often are from thiourea compounds that impart blue (sometimes) to raw silver molecules which they have chemical reaction to. Tom B others will help you when they see your post.