• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess this grade....it is a Proof.

14 posts in this topic

In most cases, including this one, there is no way to provide a meaningful grade guess for a proof coin, based on images. That is because hairlines, which, far more often than not, account for grade differences, aren't fully apparent in images.

The coin pictured might have numerous hairlines and grade as low as PR62-63, or have none and grade as high as PR66-67. So any "correct" grade guess would be due to luck.

The coin grades no higher than PR-64 but more likely a PR-63 or 62. It has been dipped because I can see the tiny ridges where the oxidized metal has been removed from the piece by the weak acid solution. The coin also has a couple of spots that I can see, one to the right of Ms. Liberty’s eye, and second to the right of the bottom of the ax. It also appears to have a haze spot to the left of the bottom of the ax.

Overall it’s a decent Proof coin for the period, but not a great one.

In most cases, including this one, there is no way to provide a meaningful grade guess for a proof coin, based on images. That is because hairlines, which, far more often than not, account for grade differences, aren't fully apparent in images.

The coin pictured might have numerous hairlines and grade as low as PR62-63, or have none and grade as high as PR66-67. So any "correct" grade guess would be due to luck.

I was thinking the same thing, so I'll say it's PF6-1,2,3,4,5,6. I omitted "7" because it don't like that mark on her cheekbone.

Chris

Here is a PR-66 that is in an old PCGS holder ... This coin has the usual haze that appears on undipped silver Proof coins of this vintage.

1942DimeO.jpg1942DimeR.jpg

Isn't the infamous "crying mercury" dime - hehehe

Just made it up SORRY

IS that a cud at the eye bothers the hell out of me and think it would affect my

grading of the coin. I will refrain.

Nice Coin