• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Polka Dot Paradise in Coin World (kind of sort of)

18 posts in this topic

Went to a B&M across town today and he told me he had something to show me. I was all excited to see it because he saves me his toners. He comes out with a magazine and said in all his 42 years doing this he never had one coin in Coin World, but yours has been in there for three weeks in a row. I was kind of let down when I seen it was just an advertisement but still cool nonetheless. What is kind of cool is that it has the date which is actually my wives 25th birthday. She got a dinner out with me and I got a coin :headbang: Just thought Id share.

DSC03735.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

It's funny as they're bragging how much it sold for.

There's a very fine line in trying to appeal to both buyers and sellers at the same time.

It's funny as they're bragging how much it sold for.

They are slowly but surely getting better prices for toners. I bet within a year they will have a lot more peoples attention. This coin was part of there biggest night ever. This weekend they have a Rainbow toned Saint listed. They keep listed the nice toners and more and more people will start viewing their lots for toners. I really like Ian and the operation he runs there. I needed a few days to get to the bank and withdraw the money and he had no problems with that. Great guy!

This weekend they have a Rainbow toned Saint listed.
You gonna buy it? I remember you were trying to get one, and that's a beauty.

I am so dang broke its not funny! lol But yea I am in on the bidding...... I highly doubt I will be even close to the hammer price. Bad timing

On Great Collections? I cannot find it in the current listings or the archive. I would love to see it.

I am so dang broke its not funny! lol But yea I am in on the bidding...... I highly doubt I will be even close to the hammer price. Bad timing

I just found it! I know how you feel. For the moment, I have exhausted most of my collecting budget as well. If it's any consolation, I don't think the final price realized will be as high as you think. The toning is very minor.

Its a good site but I don't think there are any deals to be had there.

What exactly is a good deal to you? hm

I feel I got an awesome deal! :headbang:

Makes me wonder what kinda dinner did your wife get out of you... Drive thru $1 menu hm;)

The lowest fees - 0% for coins over $1,000 or 5% for coins under $1,000

???

Thats for the seller. If you sell something through them and it goes over $1000 you get all of the money. No fees at all

I just found it! I know how you feel. For the moment, I have exhausted most of my collecting budget as well. If it's any consolation, I don't think the final price realized will be as high as you think. The toning is very minor.

The final hammer was $1,947.00 with the buyer's fee of 10%. While there was a bit of a premium, it wasn't as high as it could have been. I think that the fact that "rainbow toning" was omitted from the description made it difficult for some bidders to see, limiting the amount of competition for the coin.

Edited to add: The copper spots on the reverse may have also limited the interest.

Ok so their revenue is from a buyer's fee model? As a challanger to ebay, the 10% seems pretty high right out of the gate. The only difference being that the wording shifts the fee from seller to buyer, which we already know affects the hammer price the seller will see so its still effectively the same results, and you know increases surely always do come in these situations after establishing clientele and market movement. I mean some sellers are below 10% as it is on ebay. Dont really see this as a good deal at all especially as a buyer who now has to deal with unknow buyer protection siutautions, be it they may not be as drastic as ebay deal gone wrong siutations but still. JMHO

The lowest fees - 0% for coins over $1,000 or 5% for coins under $1,000

???

Thats for the seller. If you sell something through them and it goes over $1000 you get all of the money. No fees at all

Mumu

I believe most companies (besides ebay) charge the consignor and the buyer. I have hear dof people that no somebody so they dont have to pay consignor fees. I only consign with one person and that is on ebay. Im just going off all the the major auction companies send in the mail.

It is amazing to me that so many people cringe at 10%. Where do you think you will get any kind of advertisement for less.

This includes ebay, everyone is always crying about the horrible fees. Yet it is the only place you can get the publicity and while not perfect some of the safties if you are thoughtful. All while staying in control of how you sale.