• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Measuring Luster

7 posts in this topic

Has any entity or corporation ever developed a method for measuring the luster of a coin/metals surface using a refractometer or any other device.

I am envisioning another sticker company measuring the luster of coins and awarding stickers to those with above average luster.

Completely ridiculous? Any merit here?

I would think that would be the first time anything on a coin slab would be scientifically measured. Which would be interesting. CAC is an opinion. NGC's grade is an opinion. Of course, they are both professional and experienced opinions, and that's what gives them weight. But scientifically measuring an aspect of a coin would be new.

I probably wouldn't bother with it seeing as how luster is factored into the net grade anyway though. Also, there would be nothing proprietary about it. Anyone with the know how and equipment could measure coins and compete/put you out of business. What CAC and NGC have going for them is no one else can assign an NGC grade or CAC opinion. They belong to them and they are valued. A luster measurement belongs to no one. It just is.

I imagine that this could be measured, but doing it to a raw coin might be quite a bit more easy than a coin in a scuffed up slab.

I think it can be done. Just as you might measure the surface quality by "Breaks in that Quality" with nicks and such you can look for "Breaks in Luster" as well. For Mercury dimes, I do this when I am evaluating a purchase. The biggest difference between MS66 and MS67 is LUSTER. To get from MS67 to MS68, the luster needs to be just about flawless and of course the coin needs to be just about free from nicks.

My 10 cents on the subject.

If you're wondering about an automated way of evaluating and scoring the "boominess" of the luster, this could easily be done. Interpreting the meaning of the results beyond "coin A's luster is measured to be more booming than coin B's" is where the controversy would arise.

I should be able to develop something to do this over a free weekend. Now where did I put that free weekend?