• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to grading 1902-O Morgan

17 posts in this topic

Picked this up on an online auction and it looks better than I thought so would like some input on grade. I am a total newbie to grading and mainly buy for silver content so thanks for the help. The picture doesn't show the shine well.

1903-obverse.jpg

1902-reverse.jpg

It's a little difficult to accurately assess the grade with those pictures because gentle scratches have a tendency to hide in bright light. Your coin looks very nice though! Smooth cheek, wear to the hair over her ear and some other things......I'll hail to the next poster.

looks very nice to me .. but a bit clean ?dipped? it is hard from scans but looks to be at least AU/MS to me

What is going on with the O has it dot on it ?

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Mary!

Are these photos or scans? It's difficult for me to see luster in scans. There is a difference between luster and "shine". "Shine" may simply be an indication that the coin has been polished which is not good. Luster, on the other hand, is the "cartwheel effect" (like the spokes of a wheel) that you can see radiating around the coin as you tilt it back-and-forth and up-and-down under a light.

Chris

Has good luster under normal lighting, here are a couple of flash pictures. The AU+ on the 2x2 was my guess at grade. Not sure what the dotted O is, looked in vam world but nothing there.

1902-o-obverse-flash.jpg

1902-o-reverse-flash.jpg

Thanks! I was leaning that way but unsure, once past XF/AU I tend to get lost. Have 3 others that I got in that batch that are very close to the same.

Mary_B

Welcome to the boards! I finally got you to come in ... now you will be hooked! lol . The people here are great about helping out plus its just a wonderful place to learn a little more about your coins

The photo of the coin makes me think it's an MS 63. It has some chatter buut it's pretty minor from where I'm viewing.

Also, welcome once again.

MS63, the flat hair above Libertys ear is a result of weak strike and common for most O mint morgans. The other details look pretty strong and not too many marks in the focal areas (liberties cheek, breast feathers, and the fields of the coin).

If it had more luster and slightly better strike I would say MS64.

Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Now I can see the luster, and you have obviated my concerns. From what I can see in the images, I would grade the coin MS62.

It looks like an MS63, at a minimum, to me.

Little less cheek and chin chatter - May have squeaked a 64 being an "O" mint but MS63 seems good to me also

Welcome to the boards

Now I can see the luster, and you have obviated my concerns. From what I can see in the images, I would grade the coin MS62.

It looks like an MS63, at a minimum, to me.

I agree here. Welcome!