• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1801 "1/000 reverse" large cent, opinions please (CAUTION: SPAM)

13 posts in this topic

Self-flagged as SPAM: This coin is "for sale" by me, and is being considered by a board member in good standing, and therefore represents a potential business transaction. Please back out of this thread NOW if you do not wish to see this for-sale item.

I am posting it here because we want your opinions, good, bad or indifferent. We could also use your opinion as to Sheldon die-marriage and die-state. Scroll down to see the images, and thank you in advance!

(You will need to scroll WAY DOWN to see the coin.)

|||

|||

|||

\|||/

V

b180199o.jpg

b180199r.jpg

I was happy to get a peek at it, many thanks for the posting. I wouldn't belittle it as spam but your being so careful is appreciated. Please see if you can try editing the original post to eliminate the enormous space which might cause some persons to miss seeing the coin.

1801 S-223 R1 Easily recoginized by 1/000 with left stem has an elongated point, nearly touching the right base of U. I think it is a nice coin but would probably grade as XF details.

has that cent been laqered at one time or another or is it just the photo?

You have an excellent, discerning eye, and I am glad that you were able to determine from the photo that the coin does have residue on it. That helps me feel that the photo is fairly representing the true appearance of the coin.

In my opinion, somebody "Coin Kared" the cent at one time, but that there was a subsequent effort to reduce the amount of residue on the coin. Thus, it is a bit glossy in some areas, but enough of the residue has been removed that one can see some surface porosity.

Thanks for the comments so far!!

Definitely has artificial shine but I'm wondering............is it even real?

I ask because the letters in Liberty and One Cent are fused and deformed.

Definitely has artificial shine but I'm wondering............is it even real?

I ask because the letters in Liberty and One Cent are fused and deformed.

Thats just die deterioration. Very common with the old coppers.

James, has it been graded/slabbed? If not, why not?

Light porosity, blue-ribboned, probably authentic but I wouldn't touch it raw.

Lance.

James, has it been graded/slabbed? If not, why not?

Lance.

It has never been certified. Why? Because few serious copper collectors (by "serious", I mean those who diligently study and collect by Sheldon number / die-state) can use slabs that hide part of the coin. Of course, I am not demeaning folks who collect certified early copper. I'm just relaying the fact that at any EAC gathering, there are hardly any certified coins, and yet that is the group of collectors most likely to want this coin.

I believe the present cent would only get a "details grade", but that's irrelevant to me personally, as the other aspects of the coin outweigh the "grade" as far as I'm concerned.

In other words, if I never sell it, I don't care :) . I'm perfectly happy to keep it.

That's OK, there are many of us who would love to own it raw.

The two scratched on the reverse maybe disconcerting to some, but they look like old ones and the size of the image will make them appear larger than life...besides, what do you expect for a light circulation of a 100% copper coin that is 211 years old?