• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

" I G S " coin grading ??

23 posts in this topic

Most grading services other than PCGS or NGC are usually considered lower tier. Another words any coin graded by these lower services should be considered a RAW coin. That's the easiest way to look at it IMO

jom

does any one know igs coin grading , is it as good as some of the others more well knowed grading co.

Absolutely not. Unless you are an expert grader, I would avoid such coins completely.

In many (most) cases, the grades assigned by these lower tier grading services are much higher compared with grades from NGC and PCGS. Additionally, the coins are often cleaned or damaged, but the problem is not indicated on the holder.

Most Coin Dealers in my area will even regard an ANACS holder as though the coin inside is over graded. Accordingly, they don't like them, low ball bids when buying them and generally don't seriously look at cons offered in them.

Sadly, this leaves just PCGS and NGC as options and they're not perfect.

does any one know igs coin grading , is it as good as some of the others more well knowed grading co.

Absolutely not. Unless you are an expert grader, I would avoid such coins completely.

I would say to ignore it even if you are an expert grader unless you know the seller will stand behind the coin. There is a reason why I say this. Some of these third world slabbers have been known to certify coins with two half coins soldered together. The coin may look authentic and of a certain grade, but it's not guarantee that it hasn't been tampered with around the edge which is usually not visible in most of these slabs. This is especially true with truly rare or pricey material.

Most Coin Dealers in my area will even regard an ANACS holder as though the coin inside is over graded. Accordingly, they don't like them, low ball bids when buying them and generally don't seriously look at cons offered in them.

I know a few dealers like this. After they buy them, they sure don't discount them any when they go to sell them.

I occasionally will buy the older blue ANACS holders, if I like the coin inside and the price is in line with the grade. For me though, I have to consider the expense of crossing these coins into a first tier holder and value them accordingly. Once in a while (not often), I will find a good coin which is conservatively graded in an older, off-brand (ICG, ANACS) brand holder.

If you're going to deal with any grading service other than the top two (with minimal grading skills) or the next three (with better grading skills) it woudn't hurt if you had an attorney on 24/7 retainer.

Chris

If you're going to deal with any grading service other than the top two (with minimal grading skills) or the next three (with better grading skills) it woudn't hurt if you had an attorney on 24/7 retainer.

Chris

What are the next three? ANACS, ICG, and what?

Chris

I would consider SEGS to be just below ANACS & ICG. Others may have differing opinions.

Chris

I would not trust the grade of these out-of-business third party graders. You would only want to pay what you would pay for a lower graded raw coin. My guess is a lot of these companies just went out and bought raw coins and slabbed them with whatever grade they thought would make them a profit.

Chris

I would consider SEGS to be just below ANACS & ICG. Others may have differing opinions.

Chris

+1 and would add that the old, old PCI slabs are usually within 1 point. The new PCI = forget about it.

I occasionally will buy the older blue ANACS holders, if I like the coin inside and the price is in line with the grade. For me though, I have to consider the expense of crossing these coins into a first tier holder and value them accordingly. Once in a while (not often), I will find a good coin which is conservatively graded in an older, off-brand (ICG, ANACS) brand holder.

I have gotten some real deals just because they were in an ANACS holder.

Wheat

There have been two different companies called IGS. One from back around 2000 seemed to be a serious attempt to form a service but it didn't survive. The second is a much more recent basement slabber using generic shells and typical basement slabber grading.

There have been two different companies called IGS. One from back around 2000 seemed to be a serious attempt to form a service but it didn't survive. The second is a much more recent basement slabber using generic shells and typical basement slabber grading.

Anyone is OK, really, if you look at the coin. Don't let the slab and the attributions thereon dictate what you buy, let the coin do that, and you'll be OK.

I would equate coins from any so called TPG other than ANACS, ICG, NGC, PCGS (the TPG's accepted by Ebay and Teletrade) as raw, noncertified coins. Just my opinion.

Many dealers will use the BCW display slabs for their better raw coins with the company logo as this looks nicer than a 2x2 and looks nice in their display case (they are not claiming to be a TPG). This is like someone putting their grade on a raw 2x2 or a Coin World slab.

I once got in an arguement over the phone with the terminolgy a new currency grading service was using (not PCGS or PMG) because it was not consistent with the CDN or terminology used by CGC or CGA. I was ticked after getting my order back. Its like he had never been there and now he is going to open a TPG? He got hacked at some of my questions (seemed very defensive) and hung up the phone on me and is no longer in business. Now I only use PMG or PCGS for any graded currency.

As requested the slabs for the two different IGS companies

This is the service from back in 2000. Independent Grading Service

Custom shells sonicly welded similar in design to PCGS slabs. (which are not cheap to have made.) These are a heavy dense plastic like PCGS uses.

IGS1O.jpgIGS1R.jpg

This company first showed up around 2009 International Grading Service. Generic cheap shells of lightweight plastic.

igs2.jpg

On 4/7/2012 at 10:00 AM, rub-migration said:

On 4/8/2012 at 8:12 AM, PerryHall said:

I know a few dealers like this. After they buy them, they sure don't discount them any when they go to sell them.

PCGS,NGC,ANACS, & ICG are in fact used by most all of the top coin shops and coin dealers I have talked to at coin shows. They almost all agree after those four grading services you are on your own. Buyer beware, do your homework before you buy any coin. EBay will get you a full refund if the coin is not what it listed to be, well in my case they did.