• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Coin Mart

36 posts in this topic

I see MCM advertised on the site as well as other places in magazines, etc... I have never dealt with them myself... Does anybody have a good (or bad) review of them?

Excellent business. I have mostly sold to MCM and always get an Express Mail check from them the day after they receive the coins.

I have bought from them a couple times and had no problems. Top notch all the way around.

They are aka JMRC (John Maben Rare Coins).

I prefer to deal with wondercoin and Carlsbad eagle traders for NCLT and bullion. I have dealt with MCM in the past, and while I never had any problems, per se, I feel that the communication is better with the two that I mentioned above. I expect that I will continue to deal with MCM in the future, as well, for certain items but will not sell to them ever again.

I believe that Mr. Jordan should disclose that he has a business relationship with MCM, in his post above, for those who are not aware.

Mr. Jordan is a consultant for my company (MCM) and he and I just finished writing a book together. Long before any of this he was a customer, and I'm certain any relationship we currently share is not reflective in his post. However, not mentioning the relationship was no doubt an oversight and I agree it's a good idea. We are proud to be working with each other and have nothing to hide about it. SageRad, happy you're still a buyer and sorry to hear you're no longer a seller to MCM. We buy tons of modern coins from many who keep coming back.

John Maben

Edited to add:

BTW, I REALLY appreciate the nice comments from all incuding my old co-worker Mr. Feld. It means a lot. :)

Dirtygold, I am a collector first and have been a buyer of coins with John and many others for years and if I see a question about a dealer from someone that just wants to know if they send a big check to a dealer will they get the coin and be happy I will just give them the answer and move on. I listed Modern Coin Mart, Wondercoins and many other good dealers in my index three years ago for those that follow my work.

I guess I should have said that I write modern coin books for KP in my spare time and that my second major project was written in conjuntion with John late last year. I write some of his coin descriptions now. I also should have said that John:

1. Has razor thin buy sell margins.

2. A great web site.

3. Ships Quickly.

4. Has competent staff.

5. Shares my personal goal of educatiing the new moderns collectors so when they take up our fine hoby they do well and don't get hurt.

I did not mention any of this at the time because it was beyond the scope of the guys question.

I make my living designing and selling high nickel alloy parts to the Navy. The rest of this stuff I do for fun.

I recently bought my Star Wars coins from them and they were great to deal with, I highly recommend them!

I have purchased coins, both graded and raw, from MCM and have no complaints. I often check to see if they have a coin I need in stock... my issue is that they seem to be very heavy on the bullion (with lots of foreign), etc., and light on the US Modern stuff. Nothing under 'Dimes' for a long time, nothing under 'Halves', only IH and Wheat rolls under 'Cents'... I also think that the prices for the ATB Quarter sets are too high (reputable eBay dealers have the PF70 Silver sets for about $40-$50 dollars less). I know MCM reads the forums, so I just wanted to voice my opinion... :)

Look forward to future purchases :)

I have purchased coins, both graded and raw, from MCM and have no complaints. I often check to see if they have a coin I need in stock... my issue is that they seem to be very heavy on the bullion (with lots of foreign), etc., and light on the US Modern stuff. Nothing under 'Dimes' for a long time, nothing under 'Halves', only IH and Wheat rolls under 'Cents'... I also think that the prices for the ATB Quarter sets are too high (reputable eBay dealers have the PF70 Silver sets for about $40-$50 dollars less). I know MCM reads the forums, so I just wanted to voice my opinion... :)

Appreciate your feedback. We've heard from many that they wish we had more coins for sale. I think the number hovers around 1000 at any given point. We're growing that number slowly. As for pricing, as hard as we try it's impossible to be the lowest on every item. Remember, we do have price match/beat and the terms are outlined in our terms and conditions on the website however eBay is not a recognized competitor. Among other criteria to be met, competitor must have item on a stand alone website that belongs to them.

John

Never an issue...just recently picked up a 2012 Year of the dragon silver coin in the cool NGC MS69 label with the red dragon on it as a present for my Newphew born this year. There were sold out of them on Ebay so I went to their site and got the same great low price as the ones they had sold out of on Ebay...pleased as punch (thumbs u

and now that someone mentioned they have star wars coins...I am heading back to look lol

Check out ParadiseMint.. they have great prices and a nice selection. MCM and ParadiseMint are my favorites for modern coins / commems. Great prices and outstanding customer service!

Amazing to see all these great reviews.

Based on the rave reviews in thread I sent a package of 9 NGC certified moderns to them for potential sale. Package was received Friday last week... got no calls, emails or feedback of any kind from them. The first communication of any kind I received was today... an automated email telling me I have a package coming from them. I'm assuming they are returning my coins for whatever reason. I can only assume because I still haven't heard a peep from an actual employee of MCM.

Its fine that they didn't want the coins but it would have been nice to communicate that to me and return the coins in a more timely manner.

Very disappointing experience. I can only guess they treat customers who buy from them differently. I've never purchased anything from them but based on this experience... let's just say they are no longer bookmarked in my browser.

I'm glad you all had a better experience with MCM but what I got was lousy customer service and non-existent communication.

Amazing to see all these great reviews.

Based on the rave reviews in thread I sent a package of 9 NGC certified moderns to them for potential sale. Package was received Friday last week... got no calls, emails or feedback of any kind from them. The first communication of any kind I received was today... an automated email telling me I have a package coming from them. I'm assuming they are returning my coins for whatever reason. I can only assume because I still haven't heard a peep from an actual employee of MCM.

Its fine that they didn't want the coins but it would have been nice to communicate that to me and return the coins in a more timely manner.

Very disappointing experience. I can only guess they treat customers who buy from them differently. I've never purchased anything from them but based on this experience... let's just say they are no longer bookmarked in my browser.

I'm glad you all had a better experience with MCM but what I got was lousy customer service and non-existent communication.

If they received the package on Friday and have already mailed it back, that sounds at least fairly timely to me.

Curiously, did you contact them before sending the coins? That's something I always advise, as it can save the seller and buyer time and trouble.

If they received the package on Friday and have already mailed it back, that sounds at least fairly timely to me.

Curiously, did you contact them before sending the coins? That's something I always advise, as it can save the seller and buyer time and trouble.

The timing doesn't bother me so much though I think you misunderstand. The coins weren't shipped until today... and only after I asked about them. They likely knew they didn't want them last Friday.

Neither does the fact that they don't appear to want the coins bother me. Its the lack of communication that's bothersome. Its just not the way I (or you) would run a business.

To answer your question, no, I did not call first, though I probably should have in retrospect. The coins are right up their alley. Frankly I thought they would want them and the only issue would be agreeing on a price. My fault for making that assumption. Yet this doesn't excuse the poor customer service, does it? Is it so difficult to make a quick call or send an email?

Please understand I am not bashing these guys, just relating my experience with them as best I can. Based on everything posted here, it seems they treat repeat customers wonderfully.

George,

Sorry things didn't work out the way you hoped they would. In the "sell us your coins" section of our website it states that we suggest you contact us first before sending coins. What we buy at any point in time is based on many different factors especially the current demand and how many we have in stock at that time.

Understand that we have many days where over 100 packages arrive and we are still opening mail at 4pm. The fact that you were not contacted right away is not unusual but if we were expecting the package we could have called you or emailed you on receipt.

We always try to meet or exceed customer expectations when possible and when we know what those expectations are in advance. If you still have the coins, feel free to PM me and I will see if our needs have changed.

Thanks,

John (for ModernCoinMart)