• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9/11 Medal For a Song

6 posts in this topic

Thanks to Ebay and Modern coin Mart

Folks,

Just closed an Ebay auction that had me winning a postpaid MS69 NGC 9/11 Memorial Medal, Philadelphia Mint, for 49 dollars plus change. I had been outbid on two others within the last couple of days so it was nice to get this exquisite piece for less than 50 Dollars. I have wanted one since they were first issued but knew, as with most mint products, that patience would lead to a much better price than the mints price. Modern Coin Mart seems to have a lot of these on Ebay, they must have thought the pieces would sell well and are now facing the music and dumping the remainder.

This is a beautiful medal honoring the courage and sacrifice of tens of thousands of individuals on a day I will never forget.

Malcolm

10997.gif

See more journals by BeawChan

great looking coin... and yes, the larger sites will buy plenty so they get enough of the higher grades to meet demand, and then clear out inventory on any remaining. It may seem they are losing money, but they are actually saving it. They have to pay taxes on inventory, so its cheaper for them to discount them and let them go at a lower price, than it is to pay taxes on them... which is gravy for the patient (or budget-challenged) collector. This strategy may not always work, however, especially on popular coins that sell out from the mint.

Good pick up Malcolm! I noticed that about other coins MCM sells, and in particular a 2012 Britannia I purchased from them early in the year, only to find them offering the same coin in a true auction listing on E-Bay a few months later.

Gary