• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent purchase, what would you grade?

11 posts in this topic

I just picked up these two coins off the bay. Worried I may have paid too much. These are the sellers photos. If they don't look good in-hand, I'm sending them back.

They are a 1934-P Peace dollar & an 1884-s Morgan.

2 questions, GTG & what would you pay?

aa.jpg

aa2.jpg

ab.jpg

ab2.jpg

ab3.jpg

ab4.jpg

Based on those pics the '84-S would be AU+ and $200 and the '34 would be MS63 and $125.

I question the Morgan's surfaces. The Peace could be worth quite a bit more but $125 would be it from pics.

I would call the 1884-S AU and the 1934 Peace Dollar MS63 at best; however, I strongly suspect that the photographs are hiding something. As was noted, both images are pitiful, and I wouldn't have purchased a raw coin from either set of images.

Oddly, I agree with the grading by others above. They seem dead on. Hopefully in hand that 1884 S has more detail than appears in the pictures.

The two reverse hits make the Peace Dollar a 63 IMO.

I'm always very leery when a seller doesn't take photos from directly overhead. I don't like whatever luster there may (or may not) be on both of the coins.

Chris

Based on those pics the '84-S would be AU+ and $200 and the '34 would be MS63 and $125.

I question the Morgan's surfaces. The Peace could be worth quite a bit more but $125 would be it from pics.

+1

both look to have surface issues.

I sincerely would not buy either coin for that money. The '34-D's usually have decent luster, this one does not look the part. The 1884-S is a tough coin to find nice, with lots of various altered and counterfeits out there. It does not look like an early to mid 1880's, "S" coin.