• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

has anybody seen this variety

9 posts in this topic

A 72 in the reverse field of 1967 1c sms

I have searched for this variety and haven't found any info about it.

ther is a 72 in the reverse field underneath lincoln memorial.

the 7 is fairly prominent and the 2 is barely legible.

the coin is a 1967 1c sms ngc ms 68. I purchased the coin through Teletrade. here is a link to the page.

you can use there magnifier to see the 7 http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3239&lot=1248

10955.jpg

See more journals by Allen

Well I will still stand by the altered surfaces as there is no way the mint decided to number their coin output. I have seen numbers stamped on coins before and I am surprised that this is in a regular holder.----Must have been a slack day at NGC that day.

Later---Rick

it may be an interesting conversation piece and worth holding on to.

It is definitiely a surface alteration or even graffiti since it was not struck this way ( the 7 is concave and not a raised 7 which is the giveaway that it is not from a strike but instead was "cut/hammered" into the coin) If it had been a raised 7 then that would have been very curious and probably made the coin quite valuable.

You may find a specialty collector on ebay who would like to own it. I'd set a BIN price or a reserve at a little more than you paid for it. Otherwise, hold onto it..like I said, a unique piece for a slabbed coin and a conversation piece......