• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom "P"?

11 posts in this topic

I've been sitting in the dark taking coin pics all night, so it might just be me, but... is that a "P" after "TRUST"? It sure looks like something was there and then removed from the original die. Or is this a known error/variety that I'm just "rediscovering"?

Close up of my 1943 S steel Lincoln cent:

124017.jpg.9dfe583a61029bac2f1c2c3255567876.jpg

It does look like a "P," but I cannot think of any reason for the letter in the location on the die. It makes me wonder if it is a coincidence, although I'm trying to think about possibilities of how it was formed...

I'm fairly certain that is a coincidentally placed and shaped contact mark.

+2

Yea, that's my opinion too. Given the way dies were prepared in 1943, I'm fairly certain that it was not on the die when the coin was struck.

I agree with Jason and Bill regarding it being other than a struck letter. My reasoning is this 1872 half dime I had once with what appears to be a complete arrow below, through and to the left of the date in the first photo and I was absolutely sure that it was.

Further photos show it to only be scratches under greater magnification.

Take a peek.

Jim

1872LSHDarrowanomaly-1.jpg

18upclose-1.jpg