• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A cleaned coin

2 posts in this topic

What does it look like

We have discussed this subject in the past and some less experienced collectors wanted to know how to tell a "cleaned" coin from one that isn't. I know photo's are not as good as actually having one in your hand but this is a pretty good example. I found this on E-Bay in a listing from a very reputable seller whom I have had multiple dealings with over the years and they are very trustworthy. In fact they list this Morgan as being "cleaned". I always tell new collectors to look for "hairlines" in the field as a tipoff that the coin demands closer visual inspection.

Here is the link to the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270935821577+

the hairlines are pretty obvious in the photo's. I've seen some other sellers on E-Bay that were selling similar coins, not be so upfront in the description.

See more journals by moondoggy

I agree with the seller's assessment. The hairlines in the picture and in particular in the field behind Lady Liberty's neck are obvious in that they are parallel lines that begin and end in the field. Had these been die polish marks they would not have been incuse and the would end right where the device begins. Marks like this could have come from rubbing with an eraser.

Gary