• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grades In: 1893 Columbian Commemorative

26 posts in this topic

Since I can't edit my original thread on this piece, here is the link to it:

1893 Columbian Commem Arrived

In my mind the piece was definitely PL, NGC agreed. Since I overpaid for the piece from NFC Coins, $275, I was hoping for 64 PL. Unfortunately,

It came back 63 PL. :(

Still a super coin that I will send to Mark Goodman for proper imaging. :)

1893ColumbianObv.jpg

1893ColumbianRev.jpg

922395-31b.jpg

Maybe the PCGS holder had some influence on the graders? Not really important

in my mind. Grading is subjective and I understand that.

Here is the timeline for this coin from me shipping it to NGC to them finalizing the grade:

Mailed Priority Insured, Earlybird Submission, on March 02, 2012

Accepted at NGC PO Box on March 5, 2012

Received by NGC on March 8, 2012.

Scheduled for Grading on March 13, 2012.

Grading/Quality Control on March 19, 2012

Finalized on March 20, 2012

Original turnaround time was listed as 14 working days, lowered to 12 working day’s.

Total days from Shipping to Finalize – 18 total days.

Working days from Shipping to Finalize. I would think the time starts from when NGC actually received the coin which was on March 8, 2012. Even though they had it in their possession for three day’s prior to that. – 8 total days.

Very Nice NGC!!!!

While there don't appear to be any major hits, the significant chatter in the fields is what is limiting the grade. A PL coin shows every little tick and mark, so while the level of disturbance might not be that major, it shows an exaggerated amount. I think that is an excellent coin, with fantastic eye appeal and a strong strike. You paid a very strong price for it, but the coin is nice.

It's all good to me. :)

I sent this piece in knowing it may come back 63 PL. I have not qualms with that.

It is a fantastic piece that I'm sure Mark will really show. (thumbs u

Out of a total mintage of 4,052,105, NGC has certified only 203 in PL and one in DPL for this year and type. PCGS - ZERO :) But their the "BEST" grading service on the planet. Yeah Right, not! They can't even get proper designations right, oops.

NGC RULES!!!

I came out a winner in my mind! Not like I'm wanting to sell it tomorrow.

:)

This is the second coin I've purchased in a PCGS holder that upgraded due to their lack of true grading ability. What I mean is, if a coin is PL or Cam designate it as so regardless of the color of the coin.

Thank You NGC for your forward thinking and true grading ability!

Was PCGS PR64:

1897pcobv1B.jpg

What to take out of all this:

If you know the series you collect, you will come out a winner.

(thumbs u

Enjoy your coins!

While there don't appear to be any major hits, the significant chatter in the fields is what is limiting the grade. A PL coin shows every little tick and mark, so while the level of disturbance might not be that major, it shows an exaggerated amount. I think that is an excellent coin, with fantastic eye appeal and a strong strike. You paid a very strong price for it, but the coin is nice.

Thanks. I know PL's are your Fav, and you viewed the images of the coin probably before I did. I sent them three email's to try and get a "best price." No answer on any. I said heck with it because I liked the look of the coin from the images. I'm happy I pulled the trigger before you did. :)

That is a fantastic Indian proof!!!!!! Congrats! I love it! !!

Appreciate it!

:)

Here is an image of the color:

1897pcobvm1NGC.jpg

1897pcrevm1NGC.jpg

Thanks. I know PL's are your Fav, and you viewed the images of the coin probably before I did. I sent them three email's to try and get a "best price." No answer on any. I said heck with it because I liked the look of the coin from the images. I'm happy I pulled the trigger before you did. :)

I haven't been looking at Columbians for a while, not since I got mine. Its a 65 * PL:

1892ColumbNGCms65starPL_21.jpg

1892ColumbNGCms65starPLrev_17.jpg

Nice job Lee. I don't think you overpaid at all for coin. Good on you. MJ

Since I can't edit my original thread on this piece, here is the link to it:

1893 Columbian Commem Arrived

In my mind the piece was definitely PL, NGC agreed. Since I overpaid for the piece from NFC Coins, $275, I was hoping for 64 PL. Unfortunately,

It came back 63 PL. :(

You got a better designation on the coin, and you got it into a better slab. To me, that's win/win :) .

johnny9434 - looks like cool toning on it as well. congrats

Appreciate it.

dimefreak - Nice coin! I am more impressed with how fast NGC got you the grade..... What tier did you use?

Thanks and Early Bird

James - You got a better designation on the coin, and you got it into a better slab. To me, that's win/win

Thanks James.

jgrintz - I assume you did a straight crossover and not a crack out and submit.

Correct ??

Yes.

No+4Me - Nice find, Lee. and that IHC cameo is great!

Thank You.

I still think if you did a crack out and submit it would have gotten a 64 -

Its the sharpest 63 I have ever seen :o)

Maybe if you are one of those "Football" people you, spend more cash and get the coveted gold football on this puppy :)