• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading my Franklin Half Dollars posted by JoeFerentz

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I bought a couple of folders of "uncirculated" Franklins and decided to build up a registry set, so I sent them in to NCG.

I am a rookie when it comes to coin collecting so it comes as no suprise that I am not too familiar with how to grade. I bought a grading guide (The Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins) and proceeded to "grade" about 65 Franklins. I was a little disappointed in that not all of the coins were UNCs, but I took out the five nicest and sent them in to NGC.

I received the results today and am somewhat pleased.

Here's the tally...

1948 estimated to be MS 63 FBL, came back MS 66 FBL (sweet!); 1949-D estimated to be MS 65 FBL, came back as 63 FBL (bummer);

1951-D estimated to be MS 63 FBL, came back as OBV SPOT REMOVED (drag)

(I didn't want details grading so I'm guessing it would be UNC Details - Improperly Cleaned);

1951-S estimated to be MS 63 FBL, came back as MS 65, and

1954 estimated to be MS 65 FBL, came back as MS 64.

Thought I had Full Bell Lines on the '51-S and '54, though. And what a difference a couple of points makes for the 1949-D! Was really hoping for the MS 65. I also need to learn to identify signs of cleaning.

Overall, I don't think I did too bad. Time to grade some more and send them in.

See more journals by JoeFerentz

Joe, As you are determined to collect a specific coin---- By all means purchase a few books on the Franklin Half and you may just become the grader and man of knowledge for us when we need advice later on.

Good luck on your venture.

Rick