• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One more joins the ranks

25 posts in this topic

Hi folks! Just ventured over from across the street. It's nice to see so many familiar names. I hope I can bring some knowledge, insight and a few laughs too.

2 points for the record. First, I will never disparage anyone - collector, dealer - if I do not have direct knowledge of the coin in question or had direct interaction with that person. I have experienced WAY too much of that. I have no problem with threads of that type per se, but you won't find me participating.

Second, my collection is 75% raw, 25% slabbed, and I do my best to buy the coin not the holder. That said, most of my recent acquisitions have been slabbed due to the amount of the purchase and the ensuing benefits of authentication and investment protection. I always seek out PQ examples and will pay accordingly.

That's it for me! Looking forward to participating and helping in any way that I can. I have recently ventured into digital coin photography and have met with a healthy degree of success, so if you want some tips feel free to PM me. Here is one of my favorite toned coins:

toning2.jpg

Larger image of 1945-S 10c NGC MS68 reverse

I don't think the "bring back the black core holders" is directed to you, but instead to NGC. Many of the members have urged NGC to bring back the black holders they used to use.

Welcome Blade! Nice to have you with us, looking forward to your contributions, especially if they involve such beautiful photos!

Holy smokes! The last post on my thread was before 1:00 this afternoon and it's still in the top 1/2 of the first page? Kind of a nice change of pace here where you can actually read the posts without getting notes bumped to the next page each hour. Of course, it's possible that everyone is watching the OSU/Miami game like I am. Thank God for wireless notebooks! laugh.gif

Blade--

when NGC first began the slab process, they used a black holder, rather than the white one you now see. Many feel that their gold-- especially-- would look much better in the dark color, and we have asked NGC to reconsider bringing back the black...!!!

Your ID says you are a type collector. What got you into that facet, as opposed to collecting a series? smile.gif

Gold, yes. Black for silver, no. I think that white is a better color for silver coins. This is just based on using Capital Plastics holders on both.

OT3--

folks aren't asking for a single color only, for their holdered coins. Rather, the thought appears to be that it would be wonderful of NGC, to add an option for their clients! Should you, personally, feel that white was right for you, that would be your choice, while-- for someone else-- they might prefer another color...!!! smile.gif