• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question <><>

19 posts in this topic

According to my clock, it's oficially the third so I am back. I thought my first post back should be a trivia question so here it is: (it's fairly easy)

Which U.S. coin denominations never had a major design change?

Why does Jeff win and not me? I said 2c, 20c and $3 well before he did.

And, technically, the 3CS and 3CN are diff denominations because the 3CS had precious metal value (albiet debased) and the 3CN is totally base and, by law, did not actually have value. (I think my comment about the base metal coins are true, until the 20th century.)

EVP

Why does Jeff win and not me? I said 2c, 20c and $3 well before he did.

Because you said 2c, 20C, $3, and 3C. I did not count the 3C. I didn't count them as different denominations because even though they are different metals they both still had the "III" on the reverse. I would suppose you do win even though you had an extra denomination.

And trade dollars - which are considered a different denomination from regular silver dollars

Why is that? If they are a different denominations maybe you should talk to who ever is in charge of the registry, because they are listed under dollars with all of the other dollars.

I win! I win! Naa naa naa na! grin.gif I sorta agree on trade dollars, but they still are a denomination of $1, so there are lots of major $1 designs, probably the most of any coin if you include trade and gold dollars. As for your 3c argument EVP, I'm afraid you would lose again, since if you add the base metal caveat to the argument, you would need to include 1c, as I believe the early cent with the silver plug was the only major cent design that include any precious metal content.

Oh yeah, I forgot with the base metal thing, you'd have to exclude 2c as well since they were technically of no value, like all the other base metal coins! tongue.gif

Jeff,

My argument is that the 3CS is a different denomination from the 3CN, and the 3CN never underwent any design change.

As for the silver cent, that was experimental and not really any different legally monetarily from a 1793 large cent.

The Trade Dollar is different legally monetarily from a silver dollar. Since we're talking about ``denominations,'' I should point out that the silver dollar is still legal tender while every U.S. Trade Dollar is no longer legal tender -- by law.

EVP

Since 1965 it is, but from 1876 to 1965 it wasn't!

Like EVP says, legally the trade dollar was a different denomination. Its legal tender status was revoked after a few years of mintage. Silver dollar's legal tender status was not revoked, therefore they were different denominations.

I win, I win, I win! grin.gif

> I should point out that the silver dollar is still legal tender while every U.S. Trade Dollar is no longer legal tender -- by law.

I believe the coin act of 1965 remonetized the trade dollar. I went looking and found this interesting paragraph:

"A little known fact is that the Coinage Act of July 23, 1965, which provided for the production of clad coins, contained this wording (Section 102; italics ours): "All coins and currencies of the United States (including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve banks and national banking associations), regardless of when coined or issued, shall be legal tender for all debts, public and private, public charges, taxes, duties, and dues."

Under this act, it seems that trade dollars were given the legal tender status that had been taken away in 1876, although probably no one in Congress was aware of the implication! Similarly, as the 1884 and 1885 trade dollars are now legal tender as are, it would seem, all pattern coins."

Oh, you know what, I didn't realize (until I looked at the link) that the info I quoted was from your web site, TDN! smile.gif