• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hawaii State Quarter error

7 posts in this topic

Hawaii collector finds error coins

Howdy friends,

Anyone see the AP article on Hawaii State Quarter error coins this morning? It does not mention wether they are MS or PF but I'll have to check mine when I get home. I

check my home town paper occasionally and saw this article this morning,

HONOLULU (AP) -- A Honolulu coin collector says there's a problem with Hawaii's commemorative quarters.

Collector Joe Au-Franz tells the Honolulu Star-Advertiser ( http://bit.ly/AqvsQL ) that he's come across about 85 faulty quarters that feature 10 main islands instead of what should be eight.

He says the erroneous quarters will be a rarity among collectors. He'll be speaking about the quarters at a Honolulu Coin Club meeting on Wednesday in Kalihi.

The coins were made at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia and were released in 2008. The newspaper was not able to reach mint officials.

Mike Ellis of the Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America theorizes there was faulty died in Philadelphia that cast the extra islands.

See more journals by Merlin8*

Seems odd such an error would go undetected for so many years on auch a scrutinized coin. Maybe die clashing or cracked dies are causing the extra "islands".

Later,

Mokie

Duh, they did say P mint, I checked my album set when I got home and it has the correct number, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of these, I'd like to see a photo of one.

Cool stuff,

Merlin8*

If they were made in Philly, then they'd have to be MS... and I also think its strange that it took so long to be noticed, if it is a true error.

Ok, here is my two-cents or, in this case, 25 cents...

I happened to receive a 2008 P Hawaii state quarter today after reading the error announcement.

Depending on which eye I use, with and without my eye glasses on while squinting, I count 8; 9; or, 10 Islands on this particular coin. :makepoint:

I then put my coin under a magnifying glass and I noticed that two of the smaller Islands seem to be split in half. Making an 8 Island coin into 10.

Does anyone have an enlarged image of the Hawaii Island coin's Rev.? I would like to see and count the ten Islands.

I will get a closeup image of my coin tomorrow and post it and hopefully we can see the Islands in question.

Best wishes to all,

Jack