• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question of ethics...

35 posts in this topic

I thank you all for your input on this question and please forgive me if this question has been asked; or is considered to be 'common sense' to some. Please understand that I collect a lot of different things and belong to many different forums witn a lot of 'unspoken' rules. That being said, I would never purposely do anything to upset the overall forum concensus or scarifice my own ethics. As such I do have a question:

Provided the dealer is not mentioned, is it fair or proper to post a scan or picture of a coin you are thinking about purchasing in an effort to get the general opinion of more experienced collectors?

Please let me know, as in certain collecting fields this is accepted. In others it may be frowned upon. Keep in mind that the dealer would NOT be mentioned. It only be used as guidance for an inexperienced 'newbie.'

I thank you for your thoughts and comments. If this is already an accepted practice, please let me know. I thought it best to ask.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Not to speak for the entire forum, but I think it would be completely acceptable. I send a link to every coin I consider purchasing to one of my forum friends on gchat before I buy. It's great to get a second opinion and a second set of eyes on the coin before pulling the trigger. Sometimes when I'm excited about finding a certain piece after so long I tend to not spend as much time as maybe I should comparing prices and hi res pics.

Just keep in mind, certain dealer websites have a distinctive way of taking pictures or formatting those pictures. And regulars might be able to tell which site it was pulled from just by looking at the image if you don't crop it. I don't think this is a big deal, but you might. Also, some dealers might have issues with you taking and reposting their photos - but, again, I don't know why. You're wanting to purchase the item. If they stand behind the items they sell, they should want you to have all the info possible before buying so you really understand what you're buying (and therefore would probably feel more comfortable paying a stronger price).

I see nothing wrong in posting an image and soliciting opinions, as you described.

Some posters even include the name of the dealer, as well. As a dealer, I don't have a problem with that, either. Others might disagree.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that images might make the coin look much better or much worse than it looks in hand.

Mintcollecter,

I see nothing wrong with linking to an image, its just like asking a friend what they think. Any linked to image is easily tracable to its source, and copying an image of a coin that you havent purchase without the owner's (of the picture) permission is a probable violation of copyright laws. So, if the coin price a great deal you do put your own purchase at risk.

Others' opinions have value. Of course, you never really know how much.

I see nothing wrong with posting it. These forums are great places to learn from others.

Trashing a dealer or collector because of an opinion or coin is bad form, and gushing over a coin simply because it comes from a specific dealer borders on spam, so I'd preclude those options and keep discussion on point by omitting the dealer's name. That might also make it harder for someone to poach the coin you want.

Recently across the street this same question popped up with the total opposite concensus. It seems most didn't think it proper to denigrate a dealers coin in a public forum that caters to dealers, before a sale. Leave it up to the buyer to decide. What do you think about that approach Mark?

Recently across the street this same question popped up with the total opposite concensus. It seems most didn't think it proper to denigrate a dealers coin in a public forum that caters to dealers, before a sale. Leave it up to the buyer to decide. What do you think about that approach Mark?

I can certainly understand that line of thought. But I still feel that it is OK to post coins in order to get opinions.

It is up to the person who is soliciting opinions, to try to determine if the feedback is informed and unbiased. Sometimes that is difficult to do. ;)

I would much rather you post the coin here, get opinions, and make an informed purchase of a coin than worry about offending some dealer. If they get offended that you are soliciting opinions, they don't genuinely care about you.

I think its okay, most of the time others see things in a coin that I havent noticed

and I like all types of coins too, and more experienced type collectors can chime in and all I have to do is absord the info both good and bad then decide... and it always makes for a better purchase or a no purchase.

I dont see any problems with that, but recently somebody posted a coin here that they bought and didnt receive yet. Everybody dogged the coin so the person opinion changed and they sent it back. Kind of thought that was bad but hey what do I know?

I dont see any problems with that, but recently somebody posted a coin here that they bought and didnt receive yet. Everybody dogged the coin so the person opinion changed and they sent it back. Kind of thought that was bad but hey what do I know?

This was the point many made ATS

This was the point many made ATS

I don't know the buyer, the coin or the seller in question. But, if the buyer received informed and honest feedback/advice, good for him. And if he received uninformed/bad feedback/advice and made a bad decision, that's a shame, both for him and the seller.

It would be polite to ask the dealer's permission first. After all, what if it isn't even HIS picture? Maybe he has an agreement with someone who does his imaging for him that such images are not to be freely distributed.

As for me personally, I let folks post my images all they want. I don't particularly care :) .

I think its can be a crucial part of making an "INFORMED Decision" and have no problem with it. The more opinions the better, right or wrong, it is then up to you to hash through the information.

It would be prudent to leave all dealer names out of the decision making process as that is really between you and he.

my 2c

I see no problem. Be aware that if you mention the dealer's name and it's a really nice coin someone here may contact that dealer and buy that coin while you're still making up your mind.

I see no issue, but be warned that unless you not only have completed the purchase but received it (or it is shipped with verified tracking number) you run the risk that someone who sees your post may interfere and purchase the coin. I once posted a link to a coin I bought on Ebay at a great price, and guess what -- I never rec'd it. The seller did not put a tracking number on it, and claimed the USPS lost it.

Although I can't prove anything, my gut feel is that someone who saw my post contacted the seller and cut a new deal. Just a caution. There are sharks in the water.

there is another issue involved, and that is mode of sale and price

if it is in an auction, and you ask about it -it may alert others to now have an interest and would never have seen auction otherwise

if it is for sale - price needs to be addressed, as very few coins will be bought at 'any' cost - some coins are a do not buy at any cost over face/melt

for example - a cleaned XF45 Morgan 1884-S may be a buy at $40 but be a definite pass at $350

but if you see a nice coin like a MS66FBL with cool color, that is on a dealers website listed at 4 times most price guides - and you think it is outrageous price - it would be in bad taste to link/ask about that coin - as there are a few buyers who know that market and may be interested, yet most people would just be in shock that the dealer could ask such an outrageous price.

Recently across the street this same question popped up with the total opposite concensus. It seems most didn't think it proper to denigrate a dealers coin in a public forum that caters to dealers, before a sale.

I'd think it a fair reply to that that this is a public forum that caters to collectors.

When a dealer images a coin and offers it for sale he takes his chances. The only possible prohibition I could see is copyright infringement. Still, what dealer in his right mind is going to go to that extreme of enforcing his copyright in an image of a coin he's offering for sale against a potential customer who is using that image simply to solicit opinions from others relative to whether the coin is a good buy or not? That's ridiculous. It's also not very good customer relations, i.e., it's bad for his business to get a reputation like that.

I don't see any problem with doing that. I've done it myself a couple of times, and I'm more than willing to render an opinion here.

The only thing that makes me uncomfortable has been when people asked me to give an opinion at a show with the potential seller hanging over my shoulder. That put me in a "no win" situation. I also do not care for people who were always asking me for advice and yet would never buy anytbing from me. No one likes to fee "used."

I realize I'm being picky, but I think the issue is more a matter of courtesy/consideration, than ethics.

(thumbs u

I will be more picky, and suggest it is a question (or affirmation) of business tactics.

Think of this another way....You are walking a bourse floor with a friend or two and you see a coin that sparks your interest. Would it be unethical or discourteous to ask the opinion of your friend(s)? I think not.

But in that example, if the friend speaks negatively about the coin, the criticism is much more private and confined.

I would much rather you post the coin here, get opinions, and make an informed purchase of a coin than worry about offending some dealer. If they get offended that you are soliciting opinions, they don't genuinely care about you.

I agree, but I do think it is polite to ask for permission first as a matter of courtesy to the seller. I have done this once, and the seller was fine with it.

But in that scenario, the coin had a return privilege and it would have come back (inevitably) anyway. I also believe that the seller was paid a restocking fee, likely in excess of his eBay fees (and he would get these if the transaction was mutually cancelled anyway). I think that seller came out quite well, and would be satisfied with free money (i.e. no listing fees, no postage, original coin, plus the restocking fee).

I agree, but I do think it is polite to ask for permission first as a matter of courtesy to the seller. I have done this once, and the seller was fine with it.

But in that scenario, the coin had a return privilege and it would have come back (inevitably) anyway. I also believe that the seller was paid a restocking fee, likely in excess of his eBay fees (and he would get these if the transaction was mutually cancelled anyway). I think that seller came out quite well, and would be satisfied with free money (i.e. no listing fees, no postage, original coin, plus the restocking fee).

If a coin is returned and re-listed, it can sell for quite a bit less the next time. That's because some bidders recognize it as being re-listed, think that indicates a problem or games of some sort, and therefore avoid it.