• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EAC Guys (or Gals), is this 1794 Large Cent a head of '93 ?

8 posts in this topic

Could you point out a couple of diagnostics ?

All I had to go on were Redbook photos. On those, the pole running from the cap sure looks like a '93 pole.....In the Redbook '94 photo, no pole shows between the cap bottom and hair. Also, on the '93, the pole bottom is a little distant from the bust. In the '94 photo, the pole bottom is directly on the bust.....The pole in the '93 photo looks like mine......

Not enough huh ?

Paul

No it's a head of 94. There is a very simple diagnostic that nobody ever mentions. It keys on two things. First LIBERTY is well up away from the bust, this is true for varieties before about S-46. And second on the heads of 93 the junction of the hair and forehead is centered between the T&Y. That position of the junction only occurs on the heads of 93. None of the heads of 94 have it coming past the right foot of the T. On your coin it is just about below the center of the T.

Thank you for the help.

I guess the 'hair' between the T and the Y is pretty much key......

Oh well, win some..............lose some.....

Paul

The 1794 Heads of 93 are very distinctive and when you see enough of these, the 93 Heads will be immediately recognizable and distinct from the 94 Heads.

Maybe so, but I've been doing the early dates for 27 years and still the only way I can identify them is by that JHF position. Of course the ones I'm looking at tend to be Good or lower grade. The only description I ever see about how to identify the heads of 93 is that they have "high rounded relief". High rounded relief is hard to see on an AG coin. (also the description of S-24, which is a head of 94, is that it has "High rounded relief".)