• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Else Order the Star Spangled Banner Commems Today?

12 posts in this topic

I noticed that there wasn't a thread about the Infantry commemorative from about 2 weeks ago, and I figured that was because many thought as I did that it was a fairly uninspired design, especially coming on the heels of last year's army-related commemoratives.

But did anyone else get the Star Spangled Banner coins today? Perhaps it's because I was just in DC Thurs-Sat (2nd time since I was 5, first time in 7 years) and went to see the flag on Friday afternoon, but I actually really like these coins. I think there may've been a better choice for the obverses, but I still like what they chose and I like the reverses.

Proof-Gold-and-Silver-2012-Star-Spangled-Banner-Commemorative-Coins-510x184.jpg

I've been considering it. I really like the design of both the gold and the silver. They don't fit into any of the sets I'm working on, so I probably wouldn't buy them graded, just as really pretty bullion. We'll see if there's a price adjustment (down) this week before I pull the trigger.

Yes ordered mine when they went onsale (unc and proof). Did the same with the with the last ones plus the defender set. I have quite a few of the comms but not all. Had to send the last proof back because not proof quality, reshipped today. no price adjustment just the presale prices

I considered waiting for price adjustments on Wednesday, but I decided that the $12.50 adjustment that may come wasn't worth the hassle of watching the market.

I popped on them today too. I ordered just the proof 2 coin sets because I thought they looked better than the uncircs.. at least in the photos. I am interested to see if they become a hot item or just kind of languish like so many other of the mint products seem to have done. In any event, I think they look cool and can't wait to see them in person!

went to see the flag on Friday afternoon,

Are they still doing renovation on it or have they finished?

They're done. I asked the guard and he said they finished some time in 2009.

I like the silver dollar design and will probably order a proof and unc before the pre-sale discount ends next month. Not a big fan of the half eagle, but it's better than most of the recent ones that have come out.

Considering many of the mod commem golds are bid around melt I find the USM price something with some downside. At a recent show in Dallas not long a go I bought a large group from a walkup customer at 98% of melt. These were mainly early issues circa 1986-1994 plus some US Army and Bald Eagle. About half have been retailed to clients and the rest in my bank box for investment. Some were ungraded in orig govt packing and some slabbed 69's.

I find the SSB Gold $5 at $580 very much over what I would pay. I believe in the aftermarket these would come down. If they were offering them around $25-$50 over melt then I might be tempted. Considering these coins melt for around $405, you will be buried in them at $580 for a long time.

Okay, I admit that I cancelled my order last night and will be re-placing it in a few minutes. Price for the set went down by $24.30, or nearly 5%.

Okay, I admit that I cancelled my order last night and will be re-placing it in a few minutes. Price for the set went down by $24.30, or nearly 5%.

lol... yeah, me too... I mean, what the heck... I almost decided to hold off placing the order for a while longer to see if there is another drop, but decided to go ahead and place the order since sales numbers haven't come out yet and this drop may cause enough folks to pull the trigger that I didn't want to be left on the outside looking in.... again.... I may place another order later if they are still available, I like what I see, and the price drops again...

And for what it's worth, I did the math... yeah I am in about $50 over spot, but $35 of that is going to the Maryland War of 1812 Bicentenial Commission for education, outreach, etc... I consider that a worthwhile charity I would probably contribute to anyway, so that makes the value of the coin much more attractive...in my mind anyway.