• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coin are you currently "hunting"?

54 posts in this topic

Just curious what's on everyone's Want List right now. Or which set you're currently working on.

For me, I'm focusing this year on Classic Gold Commemoratives. I bought three pieces so far in 2012. I'm currently looking around at a few different $2.5 Pan-Pacs. Found a couple of good ones. Just need to put the funds together.

So what's on your radar?

I've been working on a year set of early dollars. I still need a 1798 large eagle (no interest in the small eagle because it is too expensive) and an 1801. Forget the 1794, which WAY too expensive.

Beyond that I'm looking to complete a set of 20 cent pieces which is sort of boyhood group of coins. I still need an 1875-P and an 1875-CC. I'll leave the 1876-CC to those who have won the lottery. I was offered one at one of the Baltimore shows at just north of the half a million. :o

I'd still like to get the last type coin that I need which is the 1796 No Stars quarter eagle. I have not seen much of anything over the last two years.

I am searching for 1935 d and s and 1939s mercury dimes in 66 or 67 fb and 1935 d and s Walkers in 64 or 65. These coins will complete the short sets in both of these series. I have been looking for about a year and they are few and far between. I also need some time to save for these as none of them are cheap. :)

I have several sets I'm actively working on, and will purchase any coins needed as price allows - my PL type set, my CBH set, upgrades for my Franklin set, and my shilling type set.

1849 or 1850 $5.00 Gold Mormon piece. I had an opportunity (and the money) a few years back to buy a nice XF 1849 but passed and have regreted it ever since.

Nick

At the top of the list are about 6 to 8 upgrades (either technically or toning wise or both) to my Franklin set. I haven't found any upgrades to that set in about 3 years.

Next in line I'm building a business strike 1858 set (no gold except maybe eventually a piece or two of the less expensive ones), and an 1893 proof set (no gold). Between the two of them I'm finding maybe one piece a year in total.

Finally, just for a fun relatively easy set to complete, 1940 - 1964 toned Washingtons, predominantly in MS66, with some MS65 for the more expensive date/mm and some MS67 for the less expensive date/mm.

From what people tell me this one might be a pipe dream..... But I still have made a separate account that holds the funds in case it ever came up... This is my 1913V Nickel.. My Dream Coin! :cloud9:

St.png

1954 Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

1954-D Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

1957 Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

1958 Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

1960-D Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

1961 Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

1961-D Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

1962-D Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

1963-D Jefferson Nickel MS66-MS67

Preferably rainbow toned or with full steps.

Too many to name but coins for my Kiwi 1/2d set, Canadian proof dollars, ATB quarters and proof Kennedy set.

Well continuing the task of filling Morgan dollars

1887/6 and "O" Morgans

Eyeballing a 1892p Right now also

An 1879 gold dollar in AU55 or better. In fact, I have bought a few other gold dollars just to have them around.

Despite the low mintage, I think 3,000, I've seen a couple of those at the shows. I passed because I'm "dabbling" with the Type I gold dollars only.

I'm looking for:

1.) PL type coins (right now I'm searching for a PL Peace Dollar, PL Liberty Walking Half Dollar, PL Buffalo Nickel, PL Wheat Cent, and a PL Jefferson silver war nickel.

2.) For my proof mercury dime collection, I am looking for 1936-1937 (in PF65 or higher), and 1940-1942 (in PF67 or higher if the price is right).

3.) Monster rainbow toned coins in PCGS/NGC holders.

4.) A designated cameo proof Walking Liberty Half Dollar.

1950 Franklin PF-65 CAM. Closing in on it (maybe) ATS.

Guy backed out ATS. It happens. These should not be THAT hard to find!

It's the last hole in my Lincoln '09 to present MS Red/Red-Brown set. A 1955 DD 61 or 62 RB (and no, I did not include the '22 no D - my pockets are not that deep)

You never know. When I was young, I went to a coin show and picked up one of the so called "unsearched' bags of wheat cents. True to the dealer's word, it had to be unsearched by him. I found a 1940 red proof cent, a 1922 no D (weak reverse) cent although the coin had some damage, and various early branch mint coins in VF-XF or so. All in all, I was happy.