• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snow White and the 7 Morgans

15 posts in this topic

For the Morgan dollar collectors – what is the latest date coins on which you have seen a deep, snowy white frost on all or part of the portrait of Liberty? This seems common on coins dated 1879-1881 but is seen less as the years pass.

For the Morgan dollar collectors – what is the latest date coins on which you have seen a deep, snowy white frost on all or part of the portrait of Liberty? This seems common on coins dated 1879-1881 but is seen less as the years pass.

My guess is 1904-O. These seem to be rather available in prooflike grades.

My guess is 1904-O. These seem to be rather available in prooflike grades.

The 1904-O rarely comes frosty. It is a year that is plentiful in brilliant PL and DMPL but very rare in cameo DMPL/PL. Frosted examples of this year are by far the exception.

This is my 1904-O, it has very deep mirrors and is one of the better examples of the year.

24.jpg

23.jpg

Here are a few (no PL designations) that have a nice frost to them. And of course my zinger of a frosty (1880-S).

1881-OObverseGOOD.jpg

1880over9-SObverseGOOD.jpg

1880-SDPLGOOD.jpg

Oh DUH, I posted ones that fell under the common dates.. well here is one that is later in the series. Also, I have a 1904-O that is rich PL.. dont have a good picture of it right now. So, here is my 1891-CC that has some frosting.

1891-CCGOOD.jpg

Can anyone compare the frost on an 1879 or 1880 against that on a proof of the same date or to a 1900 frost?

OK...maybe if folks know the reason for my question it will help.

I'm trying to determine if production dies were routinely treated with acid, then lightly smoothed with emery before being put into service. Examination of Morgans from 1878 to about 1885 at high magnification shows typical acid etched surfaces in the raised areas of some pieces, and smooth or slightly polished surfaces in the fields. Later, the device frosting becomes smoother and more like the fields. The frost is also less coarse suggesting either different acid control or possibly sandblasting. So far, I've found nothing to confirm the use of friskets for proof dies.