• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS THIEF! Heads up! Grrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56 posts in this topic

I sent a package via USPS to a buyer from ebay, and the pics below are of how he recieved it. He says his PO workers are good people, so somewhere in the middle someone went to town on the package. Even the Bubble mailer that was inside the priority mail envelope was torn open with the coin gone. I had it insured, so all's not lost, and I know there's no real help this can give anyone since the location of the theft isn't even known, but I'd just had the need to rant about it.

1FrontofPackage-1.jpg

2BackofPackage.jpg

Sorry to hear about this. Was "coins" or "numismatic" anywhere in either address?

This reminds me of why I buy insurance on anything over $100.

Nope, just the names and addresses. Thats why I think the buyer my be a little trusting of his PO. He's evidently a pretty big dealer.

I'm glad you have insurance but it's still a PITA. This have never happened to me and my mailman delivers Coin World and The Numismatist to me! I've wondered what I would do if this did happen.

Once again, sorry - I hope they nab the perp.

That sucks. I had a seller send me a SBA in a flip, inside a envelope, all inside a large envelope. Somewhere along the way, the machines squeezed the coin out of the flip and then out of both envelopes. In my case the seller hadn't used any bubble wrap or tape to secure the coin...the envelope was pretty much in good shape except for the small holes the coin came out. You envelope is pretty much destroyed...

Its entirely possible there was no thief - the package may have gotten eaten by a machine. When the package was torn, the coin may have fallen out.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Must have been an interesting coin. At least Fred Weinberg took good photos of the remains.

Its entirely possible there was no thief - the package may have gotten eaten by a machine. When the package was torn, the coin may have fallen out.

Physics,

This comment is very misleading. It is not possible for a machine to eat a package. Your comments could convince some that machines have mouths, teeth and an appetite for packages containing coins, and therefore never ship coins again. Please stick with facts.

Nick

I recently had two coins mailed to me "disappear." My local PO said the package was receipted in on a certain date and time, but that's all the info I got. The supervisor I spoke with said he'd check to see if it was issued to the carrier, and if it was there would be discipline. I never heard any more about it. hm

Physics,

This comment is very misleading. It is not possible for a machine to eat a package. Your comments could convince some that machines have mouths, teeth and an appetite for packages containing coins, and therefore never ship coins again. Please stick with facts.

Nick

Sorry Nick but Physics is correct. Ask anyone that has ever worked in the sorting room at the post office. I have had several packages come to me over the years that were torn to pieces. They sometimes put them in a sealed plastic bad with a note saying what happened to it.

I had the same thing happen more than once. One time the USPS sent me a "baggie of death" that had the cover to one of the catalogs I had ordered inside it. Apparently it was the only piece that survived the jaws of the sorter. So I called the company that sent the catalog and they sent one out immediately through FedEx with a note saying "sorry the usps decided to hold your catalog hostage, here is another one. We have had a lot of these mishaps as of lately and are seriously considering no longer using the USPS for our catalog mailings"

Physics,

Nick

I don't know why you have it in for me, but I'm not going to even respond to your foolishness. Your sole purpose on these boards seems to be to attack me - every recent post of your's has been negative towards me. Don't you have anything better to do? You are now on my ignore list; goodbye, and have a nice life.

It's crazy how fast some of these machines can sort mail. I had one package all torn to pieces and soaked in oil. I'm lucky to have never lost a coin.

The buyer said it was put in the middle of his mail bundle w/no explanation as to what happened to it. Almost as if they were trying to hide it. It was only a $40 coin, so no biggie.

Gees JOBESSI I just shipped 2 packages worth over $4,000 total (INSURED) but now I will probably have mail eating machine NIGHTMARES until they reach their destination.

I just showed the pics to my PO guy. He said if it was machine error, the corners would be more damaged. He insisted on referring it to our region's inspector.

$7.75 postage on a "$40" coin ?

Priority + insurance+ Delivery confirmation. I actually only charged buyer $5. Delivery confirmation is for my benefit.

Physics,

Nick

It's "flats" that are the main problem. As a seller, I always ship in bubble mailers and add my bar code label to prevent machine sorting. I realize nothing is 100% fool-proof but I've never had a problem with machine sorting damage.

I ship anything sold for over $30 in a bubble mailer with padding so it cannot be machine handled. It costs .20 more but I get confirmation. They are up to $2.80 total this way but for coins under $100 it's been very successful.

I'm surprised that no one bagged it first. As a letter carrier I'd never have delivered that one.

Physics,

Nick

You are wrong – a sorting machine can destroy this type of package , I have seen this first hand .

Physics,

Nick

I don't know why you have it in for me, but I'm not going to even respond to your foolishness. Your sole purpose on these boards seems to be to attack me - every recent post of your's has been negative towards me. Don't you have anything better to do? You are now on my ignore list; goodbye, and have a nice life.

Aww Physic's I hope you don't mean that. I guess I need a sarcasm font for when i reply to your comments. I don't have it in for you man. I was just trying to point out that in many of your posts you make people feel the same way you felt with mine. You are EXTREMELY judge mental of others post and demand exactness and seek out truth in all things I thought you would appreciate some clarification that your post sounded like you had said a machine had LITERALLY ate a package, as in chewed it up and swallowed it. Obviously my interpretation is in the minority, but being mexican-american, I am used to that. (that's a joke people, I'm really a white jewish guy).

I admire your contributions to the forum, you are an asset of knowledge and I say that with absolutely no sarcasm. You seem like an I'm always right and never wrong kind of guy, I was just trying to get you to lighten up a little. I apologize for any offense I may have given, even though I know you hate when people apologize for there comments on these forums. So what do you say Physic's, how about putting me on a 2 week ignore ban? Lifetime seems a little harsh.

Jobessi,

Sorry to bring your thread down with my foolishness, apologies to you also.

Nick

(edited for horrible spelling, sorry)

Physics,

Nick

You are wrong – a sorting machine can destroy this type of package , I have seen this first hand .

To the posters who think that NIck's comment was meant literally; it is not. It is a satiric statement made in reference to posts from another thread. I don't wish to engage in a squabble or to sabotage Charlie's thread; thus, this will be my last comment on this subject matter in this thread.

Edited to add: I posted this before I saw Nick's reply; sorry for any redundancy.