• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLQ sent in for regrade

23 posts in this topic

I recently purchased this coin from BROADSTRUCK and everyone

I showed it to has said the coin was a much nicer coin than the NGC

MS 63 grade it received.

I submitted it back to NGC on an Early Bird [ 3 week turn around ]

and yes, they agreed ... it was a nicer coin than first believed...

Want to venture a guess on its new grade ?

45ae7a3e.jpg

EDIT:

Coin is now in a 63+ Holder.

MS64 would be my guess. I think the hit in the field on the reverse and the hit on the thigh and shin will limit the grade.

+1

I like the coin , very attractive .

A very attractive 1919-S, but damage on the head, legs and the prominent reverse chip indicate that MS63 (maybe 64) is about it.

Well, the photo could be deceptive but like everyone has said it's a 64 or possibly 64+ due to some hits on liberty and the reverse field.

HOWEVER, if there is blast luster under the toninig that somehow isn't captured in the photo it could go 65 rather easily.

jom

A few things to take into consideration if your not familiar with this series...

1.) Elbesaar's images are the size of a Dinner Plate as even in MS67 SLQ's have hits and chatter.

2.) As far as weak strike it's unfair to judge any branch mint type two with a Philadelphia 1917 or 1919 as striking characteristics are completely different. The 19-S example shown here is one of the stoppers in this series and this specimen is extremely well struck for the issue.

3.) This example hasn't been dipped and has the same toning pattern as SLQ's from the Boy's Town and Eliasberg collections.

OK now back to your guessing :)

A few things to take into consideration if your not familiar with this series...

1.) Elbesaar's images are the size of a Dinner Plate as even in MS67 SLQ's have hits and chatter.

2.) As far as weak strike it's unfair to judge any branch mint type two with a Philadelphia 1917 or 1919 as striking characteristics are completely different. The 19-S example shown here is one of the stoppers in this series and this specimen is extremely well struck for the issue.

3.) This example hasn't been dipped and has the same toning pattern as SLQ's from the Boy's Town and Eliasberg collections.

OK now back to your guessing :)

+1 on comment 2 and 3

The coin arrived back today.

I need to take a few very amateur images

and post them. Professional images in the

new holder really arn't needed.

Thanks for the well wishes - and I have to say

one thing, the coin is almost as well struck as

most will find.

I owned another in PCGS 65 - and it was a better

strike - then again - it was multiples of the cost of

this coin.

2b85e9c1.jpg

I'd like to see pictures of these coins, if you have them handy. The look of the toning on your coin is one that I associate with a dipped/retoned coin after an improper rinse. Who's to say those coins weren't likewise treated?

I would like more evidence, if you please.

I have the Eliasberg Bowers and Merena catalog as well as the Boys Town .

As you know, these have Black & White images - and even if you were able

to pull them up on line - they are still B & W images.

I believe Broadstruck viewed these collections in hand - as this 1919-S

came out of his collection.

Sorry for the poor image:

8694a293.jpg

I'd like to see pictures of these coins, if you have them handy. The look of the toning on your coin is one that I associate with a dipped/retoned coin after an improper rinse. Who's to say those coins weren't likewise treated?

There is a Constitutional Right to confront the Witnesses, BUT (blah, blah) there is also a Constitutional Right to not be a witness against self......

Respectfully,

John Curlis

There is a Constitutional Right to confront the Witnesses...

Respectfully,

John Curlis

But this only applies in criminal cases. With this said, many people do treat dipping like its a crime. :)

I still like it! 63+ seems like a "meet you half way" grade. Broadstruck's comments are salient, and the photos tell it like it is. Just back away from the monitor a bit and you'll be better able to assess the coin.

My other images are just too darn small - and I don't feel like resizing

these images. Its a nice coin - what can I say - maybe not a 65 but I

thought it would get a 64 or a 64+. JMHO. I have a nice AU duplicate

in a PCGS 55 holder - as well - but I no longer need it ...

I'll be in Baltimore if anyone wants to chat. @ AmeriworldCoins # 310.

The look of the toning on your coin is one that I associate with a dipped/retoned coin after an improper rinse.

Coins that have been dipped and encapsulated prior to proper neutralization develop unpleasant spots, blotches, and streaks which will continue to darken over time... I wouldn't consider this occurrence any sort of toning.

There is a Constitutional Right to confront the Witnesses...

Respectfully,

John Curlis

But this only applies in criminal cases. With this said, many people do treat dipping like its a crime. :)

Actually, the Right extends to non-criminal issues-like coin originality disputes. I concur such disputes could possibly turn criminal if civility leaves the room, though.....

With Respect,

John Curlis