• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 Columbian Commem Arrived Today

31 posts in this topic

Seller's Images:

1893ColumbianObv.jpg1893ColumbianRev.jpg

922395-31b.jpg

My attempt at an image: :blush:

1893Columbian_Obv.jpg

IMGP1651copy_edited-1.jpg

Looks prooflike to me and will be on it's way to NGC soon to see what they think. hm

Not sure but there is little downside if it's not. Good luck and let us know! MJ

Having dealt with a few of these - a couple fairly recently. This should get a PL from NGC.

If you crack it out and do a straight submittal - you may get a grade higher at least as all hairlines and sail fins are there. ( They may do a grade up on a crossover depending on their mood :) )

Thats of course if the markings in the fields are more than just abraisions and fogging.

Lovely coin

Thanks all! :)

Going to NGC today or tomorrow as an Early Bird Submission.

I'll post the results when known.

I saw that example and it's fully PL...

Since everyone in the know is aware PCGS does not assign PL designation, I'm wondering if the submitter thought it was a Proof hm

Since everyone in the know is aware PCGS does not assign PL designation, I'm wondering if the submitter thought it was a Proof hm

There are many people who are not aware of this. When I talk to dealers, even big-time dealers, most of them are under the impression that PCGS designates PL's. I guess its because none of them really care that much about them.

There are many people who are not aware of this. When I talk to dealers, even big-time dealers, most of them are under the impression that PCGS designates PL's. I guess its because none of them really care that much about them.

They do designate PLs and DMPLs; however, this designation is limited to Morgan Dollars.

They do designate PLs and DMPLs; however, this designation is limited to Morgan Dollars.

That's what I meant.

....and world coins.

Do you have any examples you can show? I've never seen any. They grade certain Canadian and South African coins that were intentionally made prooflike as PL-66, for example, but I have never seen them designate an unintentionally prooflike world coin.

Below is a link to some pictures by a fellow forum poster showing a Morgan with PL designation from PCGS

CMCART's morgan posting on a different forum

I was referring specifically to world coins designated PL by PCGS, as Fish mentioned seeing. I'm definitely aware of and have seen and owned PCGS PL Morgans.

Below is a link to some pictures by a fellow forum poster showing a Morgan with PL designation from PCGS

CMCART's morgan posting on a different forum

I was referring specifically to world coins designated PL by PCGS, as Fish mentioned seeing. I'm definitely aware of and have seen and owned PCGS PL Morgans.

Good question that I don't know the answer to. I picked up this coin labled PL that looks to be a proof. The others I've seen were minted intentional PL and have a polished look.

....and world coins.

Do you have any examples you can show? I've never seen any. They grade certain Canadian and South African coins that were intentionally made prooflike as PL-66, for example, but I have never seen them designate an unintentionally prooflike world coin.

I wish Haxby never would have used the term "prooflike" for Canadian mint set coins. All it has done is caused confusion among collectors of US coins that think the term refers to business strike coins struck from polished dies as were many Morgan dollars. Canadian PL designated coins are like US SMS coins. They are collector coins. Many Canadian business strike coins have had mirrored fields ever since the RCM switched to chrome-plated dies back in the 1940s.

Shiroh - I'm aware that the Canadian mint sets were intentionally made prooflike, just as the US SMS sets were. Thus, they aren't really business strike, but they aren't really proof. I find them boring - intentionally made PL's don't have the same mystique and appeal for me as the ones I collect. I'm okay with them being called prooflike, because that is technically what they are.

Very beautiful leeg! Are the scratches in the pic on the slab? I like the toning too!

CC

Thanks. :)

The scratches are on the coin, hence the 63 grade. They're barely noticeable in hand. Has really nice mirrors.

On it's way to NGC.

64 PL* would be the ideal result! :)