• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Concave Trime?

6 posts in this topic

I bought my first silver three cent piece yesterday (1851). :D Once home I discovered the obverse was concave -- is this normal?

This is an AU to MS quality coin, the "rounding" is not severe, looks like it is even throughout the coin and the coin appears to have no damage.

My plan was to send this in for slabbing -- would that automatically create a details/genuine grade? My husband has thought of several ways to "flatten" it -- but I worry that will damage the rim and devices.

Your thoughts / ideas would be appreciated.

Lynn

If the coin is bent, do not try to fix it, as you may risk damaging it further.

You could try sending the coin to NCS to see if it is conserved, if the coins value merits that type of expenditure.

I bought my first silver three cent piece yesterday (1851). :D Once home I discovered the obverse was concave -- is this normal?

This is an AU to MS quality coin, the "rounding" is not severe, looks like it is even throughout the coin and the coin appears to have no damage.

My plan was to send this in for slabbing -- would that automatically create a details/genuine grade? My husband has thought of several ways to "flatten" it -- but I worry that will damage the rim and devices.

Your thoughts / ideas would be appreciated.

Lynn

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

A bent coin of that type will not slab. However, bent trimes show up pretty often and can be straightened fairly easily by hand without damage, IF it is not bent too drastically.

The indentation on the coin is not severe -- it is as if you had a piece of fruit that was ripe and you left a very slight finger indentation on it -- However there is no damage visible to the coin. The only way we noticed it was that when it was set on the reverse, it didn't lay flat, but rocked very slightly.

How would you straighten it by hand? TIA

If it were me I'd take 2 pieces of nice smooth wood and put the coin between them and try to flatten it by hand. The coin is very soft and should flatten fairly easy. The wood should keep from damaging the coin any. This is JMO.