• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Seated Dollar

15 posts in this topic

I picked this 1853 Liberty Seated Dollar up at the local coin show today. What grade would you assign? Do you think it would slab? Comments welcome!

sm-obv1.jpgsm-rev1.jpg

Sorry, but I don't believe this will make it into NGC or PCGS. Harshly Cleaned. Not a bad coin, as these are difficult to come by especially at reasonably affordable prices.

You really think it's harshly cleaned? There are no hairlines anywhere on the coin.

I knew it was lightly cleaned a long time ago by looking at the devices and wondered if it would slab problem-free. I have seen much worse in problem-free PCGS and NGC holders.

At least it was cheap. The guy had priced as a common date VF20 and this is a better date.

maybe it's just the photos but near the date on the obverse looks pretty harshly cleaned but that is the only spot I am seeing.

I think if you inspect the forward leg, there appears to be some abrasions as well as near the date and surface areas. As I stated, these are tough to come by " RAW" that have not some damage or harsh cleanings. All in all, it's not a bad pickup.

I am going to say to this coin slabs without problems. It will slab at F 15

If it hasn't been erasered by the date, then I agree!

James is right. I would grade the coin as a Fine-15 except for the fact that there has been intentional rubbing in the date area. For that reason it will not grade. If the coin had been left alone in that area, I think that it would have gotten a grade.

If I were to assign a grade based upon the photos presented I would have to agree with the F-15 graded suggested. I'm not at all surprised the seller was asking VF20 money for it though, tough date to pickup raw.

Why would you want to put this coin in a slab ??

This is a coin you want to keep raw – stabbing it will add no extra value and most liekly you get a details grade.

As others have said that area to the right of the date looks suspicious. Overall I think the coin was cleaned, technical grade would be a F 12 .

This is a coin you want to keep raw – stabbing it will add no extra value and most liekly you get a details grade.

As others have said that area to the right of the date looks suspicious. Overall I think the coin was cleaned, technical grade would be a F 12 .

+1

I am going to say to this coin slabs without problems. It will slab at F 15

If it hasn't been erasered by the date, then I agree!

Oh good catch. I missed this coin he first time around.

I might not try to slab it. Really looking for opinions on grade/condition.

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

I hope the grade and other opinions offered here does not make you feel uncomfortable with what you paid for it. As I stated earlier, it's a tough piece to acquire " Raw" without having some problems. Nice pickup. Congrats.

Thanks guys!

Despite the cleaning issues the coin is a keeper. It’s a good coin to have raw so you can hold it in your hands unencumbered by plastic.